Sunday, October 10, 2004

Iraqi Blogs

I decided the other day that I should read some Iraqi blogs to see what they have to say about the change in power, the US, and what their life is like. I've only read a few so far, but will be reading more as I find them and as time allows. Some I've come across are, of course, written in the Iraqi language and while it's a pretty written language, I can't read it, so I moved on to others I could. I was amazed that so far I've found more in English than in the language of Iraq. While reading, don't forget that 1. English is a second language to these writers and 2. English is difficult language to learn.

Kerry says that if he had been president Saddam would not necessarily been removed from power. I'd like him to tell that to Sam at Hammorabi. This archive link is from December 1 to December 31, 2003, which covers the period immediately before and after Saddam's capture.I point specifically to December 19, entitled Life Under Saddam's Regime.

A Family in Baghdad is not a fan of the US. I include it because I believe it shows the reality of life in Baghdad. It's not a bed of roses.

Zeyad at Healing Iraq expressed that he was confused and even depressed when Saddam was captured.

Omar at Iraq the Model had this to say on Saddam's capture.

The above are just a few of the Iraqi blogs out there. I specifically looked at archives around the time of Saddam's capture. I was hoping for honesty in how they felt about it. I believe that's what I got. So far, happiness with some confusion and depression. One does not even mention it.

I might add a sidebar section for Iraqi blogs after the election. I honestly want to know how the Iraqi's feel about what is happening to their country and their lives. It's very easy to sit here, in America, thousands of miles away and think we know what they are going through and what they should be thinking. I've always said that no one can know what someone else is feeling unless you have gone through the same situation. And even then, the circumstances could be different. Example: the view of the American soldier as opposed to the Iraqi citizen. Both are in Iraq at the same time, but the American can't understand what the Iraqi is thinking because it's not his (or her) country. The only Americans who could really begin to understand living in a war would be people from the Civil War era. And while I'm not forgetting New York after 9/11, it's still not the same.

No comments: