Saturday, August 22, 2009
Friday, August 21, 2009
Call yr state reps and urge them to press for a FairTax on a state level. This application will prove it's success!
Money Might Talk But Chocolate Sings!
One day I had a date for lunch with friends. Mae, a little old "blue hair" about 80 years old, came along with them---all in all, a pleasant bunch.
When the menus were presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for Mae, who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops, chocolate." I wasn't sure my ears heard right, and the others were aghast.
"Along with heated apple pie," Mae added, completely unabashed.
We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the time... but when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy mine. I couldn't take my eyes off Mae as her pie a-la-mode went down. The other ladies showed dismay. They ate their lunches silently and frowned.
The next time I went out to eat, I called and invited Mae. I lunched on white meat tuna. She ordered a parfait. I smiled... She asked if she amused me I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me. How come you order rich desserts, while I feel I must be sensible?"
She laughed and said, with wanton mirth, "I'm tasting all that is possible. I try to eat the food I need, and do the things I should... But life's so short, my friend, I hate missing out on something good. This year I realized how old I was. (She grinned) I haven't been this old before."
"So, before I die, I've got to try those things that for years I had ignored. I haven't smelled all the flowers yet. There are too many books I haven't read. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown overhead. There are many malls I haven't shopped. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of Broadway hits and potato chips and cokes."
"I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face. I want to sit in a country church once more and thank God for His grace. I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast."
"I want un-timed long distance calls to the folks I love the most. I haven't cried at all the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind in my hair. I want to fall in love again."
"So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final chocolate mousse before my life expired."
With that, I called the waitress over.... "I've changed my mind," I said. "I want what she is having, only add some more whipped cream!"
This is my gift to you - We need an annual Friends Day! If you get this twice, then you have more than one friend. Live well, love much & laugh often - Be Happy!!!
Be mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on relationships with people we love and respect.. Remember that while money talks, CHOCOLATE SINGS!
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
- Several weeks ago, the President announced an agreement with the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) to achieve $80 billion in savings as part of health care "reform." The Congressional Budget Office has previously found that eliminating the Part D "doughnut hole"- one element of the PhRMA "deal"-would cause Medicare premiums to rise by 50 percent.
- As a result of the White House agreement with the drug lobby, press reports indicate that a coalition of interest groups led by PhRMA has committed up to $150 million to generate publicity in support of the President's health "reform."
- On Saturday, Bloomberg News reported that one of the firms hired to spearhead the PhRMA-led advertising campaign is AKPD-the firm that Senior Advisor to the President David Axelrod founded, and where his son continues to work.
- The same news story reported that Axelrod will be paid $2 million from AKPD as part of his severance package-payments which will come due beginning in December.
- Has David Axelrod recused himself from the PhRMA "deal," or will he work to defend an agreement with an industry that is directly funding his son's work, and indirectly funding his own $2 million severance package?
- Why exactly did the head of PhRMA publicly brag about negotiating a "rock-solid deal" with the Administration-and did the hiring of David Axelrod's former firm have anything to do with his confidence?
- How exactly did AKPD generate this advertising contract?