Monday, September 01, 2008

What Next?

Yesterday was not a day that I will remember with fondness.

It started out having to turn the key in the ignition of my van more than a few times. I've been having what I believe (and my repair shop agrees with me) is a starter/ignition problem. I've been hoping for a bit more time, mainly due to just not wanting to deal with it right now. Have I mentioned that I tend to procrastinate?

So I did get it started and got to work. In muster, something set the lieutenant off and we got a dressing-down that I really think was undeserved. I didn't take it to heart as I knew that it wasn't directed at me.

During muster, we get our assignments for the day. Usually we're in the same pod as the day before, and moved around as needed or as deemed necessary for reasons usually known only to the supervisors. Another CRO called in sick, so I was assigned to cover that pod.

No problem. I've worked this dorm before. In my opinion, being a high risk pod makes it easier to work in. You just have to strictly adhere to the rules and you should be fine. In other, lower-risk pods, you can sort of relax the rules to a certain extent (shouldn't, but it happens). In this Pod, one dorm is always locked down, and another was under lockdown after a shakedown on Saturday. The CERT team came in and did shakedowns in several dorms Friday and Saturday. I understand that the shakedowns were for training purposes, but the powers that be may have decided to do that training because of security issues they are concerned about.

The lieutenant came in later in the morning with a tour group. He introduced me and described my job function then went on to talk about the dorm and the security requirements due to the high risk assignment. The tour got to see me open a few doors and see the inmates moving around through the windows and on the monitors. It was morning, so most of the inmates were sleeping - not much to see. They usually go back to sleep after breakfast, especially on the weekends and on rainy days such as this one. After they left I made some phone calls to give a heads up to other CRO's that they may have a tour coming through. That was the highlight of the day until I left to go home.

Did I mention that we are starting to see the effects of Hurricane Gustav? We're getting the eastern edge and won't really get much but some wind and rain. We had a lot of dark clouds and I was hoping to get home before the rain started. No such luck. It was raining a little as I went to the van.

My van wouldn't start. No matter how many times I turned the key, it just wouldn't start. The battery was fine, I could turn on the radio and the lights worked, so I assured myself it was the starter.

I work so far north, that I wouldn't think of calling someone to come pick me up and take me home and most of the people on my shift had left. I'd just have to come back out and get the van, so it made sense to get the van home. Back into the building to call for a tow. I had the van towed home because none of the repair shops I deal with would be open today (Labor Day). A cab would be exhorbinant, so I rode home in the tow truck.

So there will be another tow charge (if it won't start Tuesday). I also called Enterprise and reserved a rental car. I've used Enterprise before and like that they will come and get you, and then take you home when you drop the car off when you're done with it. A very nice feature to offer.

So I get home. The rain has slowed to a few drops. I pay the tow truck driver and go in the house to settle down for the evening. I fixed myself a Lean Pocket for dinner (meatball and cheese...yum!) and am enjoying it when I feel a sharp pain in the side of my tongue.

I broke a tooth. And it left a sharp point that will rip my tongue to shreds if I'm not very careful. And I'm faced with the same problem as getting my van fixed. Monday is Labor Day. No dentists will be open until Tuesday. And I'll have to get in as an emergency work in. If I can get in at all.

In the meantime, I have a piece of cotton ball to cover that edge so I don't shred my already sore tongue. I never did find the piece that broke off, so I must have swallowed it.

As I said to a sergeant who was feeling bad that he couldn't help me with my van problem: If this is the worst I have to deal with, I'll still be doing just fine.

And I am doing just fine. I'm not facing losing my home to foreclosure or hurricane. Neither I nor anyone in my life has a life threatening disease. I'm not in danger of losing my job and income due to the economy. I know I have a future pension I can live on.

Aside from temporary transportation issues, I have the ability to put food on the table and keep a roof over my head and to take care of my pets. I am enjoying good health.

Between the van and tooth, I will have some financial issues coming up, but they will be relatively short term and I will, between insurance and savings, be able to financially weather this little storm.

On the political side, I have hope now that McCain has chosen Sarah Palin as his VP that the Democrats will not take the White House. And even that wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

While I am, as I said, independant and find it difficult to ask for help, I have family and friends who would do whatever they could to help me. And when you have friends, you are indeed rich.

So, as I said, I'll do just fine.

No comments: