Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Palin Power!

As far as I'm personally concerned, John McCain won the election when he selected Sarah Palin as his Vice President. And tonight, Sarah proved that a new political star has been born.

Every time I see her, or hear her, I am more impressed by this lady. I am a feminist by nature, and I want to see more women in prominent positions. But, I want to see the right women in those positions. I think Sarah is the right woman at the right time. I believe this lady has a very bright political future ahead of her.

This is a lady who is indeed Small Town America. She's a hunter, a pilot, a self-styled hockey mom. A woman who has run a family, a business, a town as mayor, and a state as governor. She's fought corruption, slashed the state budget, and sold the governor's jet on eBay because she didn't think the governor needed a luxury jet. She drives herself to work (or at least did). She's woman who took on the "good old boy" network and won. Several times.

She stands on family values and proves that point by standing alongside her pregnant, 17-year-old daughter. She's looking forward to being a grandmother. This is something that happens in families all over America. Should she be held to a different standard than any other American mother? While my personal opinion is that her daughter made an unwise choice, when it comes down to it, that is just my opinion and means nothing to the Palin's or anyone else. We all have the right to an opinion, but you know what? We don't always need to express them and truth be told, most of the time we shouldn't.

Sarah delivered a speech this evening that was funny, smart, pointed and yet polite. She may not be a Washington insider, but, you know what? I think that might be a good thing. Every housewife knows a new broom sweeps clean. If I were a Washington insider, I'd either make it my business to become her best friend or start shaking in my boots. She is a hunter, after all, and has bagged more than moose and bear. She's bagged corrupt government officials.

Could I be wrong and America will elect Obama to the Oval Office? Of course. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Even if I'm wrong this time, I don't think I'm wrong about Sarah. She will be a force to be reckoned with for many years to come. 

I wasn't a McCain fan until he showed the courage, fortitude, resolve, and inspiration to choose a near-political unknown, (not to mention a woman!) as his running mate. I think he made the right choice and they are a match for each other. In fact, I'm so enthused and impressed by Sarah, that I just may change my party affliation to Republican.

I just hope that America will see just who is the best candidate for the job - and realize that the best man for this job just could be a woman.

No comments: