Sunday, October 23, 2005

Wilma Update II

Well, the southern half of Florida is under hurricane warning. Wilma is expected to make landfall somewhere south of Sarasota with the Ft. Myers/Naples area taking the brunt of the storm.

I heard Governor Jeb earlier giving a rundown on what is ready for the hurricane. Let me tell you, Florida is on it! After four hurricanes last year, Dennis and Katrina this year, Florida government is seasoned at this.

I didn't realize that Governor Jeb was going to give the details he did and I've been hoping to see a repeat of the press conference, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't have all the numbers, but if I get them, I will change this post. Here's the run down:

220 million gallons of gasoline in ports
130 million gallons arriving on 29 ships over next few days
13 million Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's)
Trucks with ice on standby ready to roll
Trucks with water on standby ready to roll
National Guard on standby
Helicopters standing by
Teams of Doctors, nurses, and paramedical personnel on standby in Orlando
Tolls have been suspended in South Florida

He stated that there may be spordic outages of gas in some areas, but be patient. It's coming.

Personally, I think Governor Jeb would make an outstanding FEMA director. Who, besides maybe Rudy Guiliani, has had the experience with natural disasters that Governor Jeb has had?

No comments: