Thursday, November 27, 2003

Masters and Slaves

I don't have much patience for stupid and about the same amount of patience for being Politically Correct. I don't deliberately offend, but at the same time, I don't go out of my way to be PC, either.

I was reading this article (see link below) about Masters and Slaves. Now, those of you who are really into computers understand that this refers to primary and secondary hard disk drives.

If we're going to be sensitive about the word "master" why is one of the newest movies out "Master and Commander"? And how about people who have the last name of "Masters"? Should they change their names? And what about Master Sergeants, and master carpenters? I have forms in my office I call master copies - originals that are used to make copies (and who is it that uses the master instead of making more copies!?), should I start calling them somthing else?

My point is, can't we be more sensitive about other things? Such as absurdly high gasoline prices, getting people off the welfare roles and into paying jobs, tax reform, making people understand that it's not guns that kill people, it's the people pulling the trigger, and a whole host of other things.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

No comments: