Wednesday, September 10, 2008

S.C. Dem chair: Palin primary qualification is she hasn't had an abortion

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate " whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.”

Palin is an opponent of abortion rights and gave birth to her fifth child, Trig, earlier this year after finding out during her pregnancy that the baby had Down syndrome.

Fowler told my colleague Alex Burns in an interview that the selection of an opponent of abortion rights would not boost McCain among many women.

“Among Democratic women and even among independent women, I don’t think it helped him,” she said.

Told of McCain's boost in the new ABC/Washington Post among white women following the Palin pick, Fowler said: "Just anecdotally, I believe that those white women are Republican women anyway."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from here

What an incredibly sexist, not to mention stupid, moronic remark this is, especially since it's from a woman. How appalling that a woman would say something so demeaning as to completely dismiss Governor Palin's accomplishments as a wife, mother, PTA member, mayor, governor, and now Vice Presidential candidate. 

I could make remarks about Ms. Fowler, but I don't know her and would never lower myself to that level. I will say that it sounds like she's running scared and saying something that she already regrets saying. Fox News has been trying to contact her and she's reportedly out of the country and unreachable. Uh, huh and I have a oceanfront property in Missouri for sale. Unreachable? In this day and age? Sorry, that dog won't hunt.

Could she be running scared and saying whatever she happens to think that might hurt Governor Palin? Governor Palin is an accomplished young woman who has, not just a good, but brilliant, political future before her. She's still young enough that she be a considerable force in politics for years to come.

Obama will come out and rightly condemn this incredibly stupid, foolish statement. I have no doubt that it is Ms. Fowler's opinion and not that of Obama or the Democratic Party in general. But, considering that Ms. Fowler is the chairwoman of the South Carolina Democratic Party, it is an incredibly inflamatory thing to say. If this is the thinking of the Democratic Woman, I'm happier than ever that I had the good sense to leave the Democratic party years ago.

My suggestion to Ms. Fowler is to step down from the chair before the SCDP dumps you. Which they should do if she doesn't voluntarily step down. You don't need women in her position spewing such stupid, witless, thoughtless remarks. Everyone says stupid things. Believe me, I am the Queen of Making Stupid Remarks, but I am not the chairwoman of the state Democratic Party. The sad part is, Ms. Fowler may have been a wonderful chairman, but she's wrecked her own credibility. I hope she hasn't damaged her husband as well.

Obama's "lipstick on a pig" remark will blow over. I have a feeling that this will be a much harder issue to overcome.

No comments: