Saturday, November 12, 2005

Career Apparel

I got my new uniforms the other day. It all began last spring sometime. One of the sergeants asked my opinion about going into career apparel. True or not, I was later told he had a problem with something I was wearing, but wouldn't tell me what it was. Since then, no one has said anything about my work wardrobe until a month or so ago, and then it was just a reiteration of the discussion with the previous sergeant. No specifics about my clothings, not even that there was a problem. Basically, what uniform did I prefer, the civilian career apparel (Dockers and polo shirt) or the green certified uniform without badge.

Since I've been with this agency, I've been in brown shirt and gray pants, out into civilian clothes, in grey and white civilian uniforms, out into civilian clothes, into green uniforms without badge, and back out into civilian clothing.

The first time, we (civilian employees) looked like bus drivers. We wore a brown shirt with badge and brass. Found out later that the badge we were given was the official badge and should have been worn by certified staff. They were wearing the badges civilian personnel should have been wearing. Don't know who did the research on that one (and yes, there was a lawsuit involving the use of the badge. I might post about that someday). As I said, we looked like bus drivers. No kidding. I was stopped on the street more than once by people asking where the nearest bus stop was. I was even asked where the subway was. I told them that we didn't have subway here; we'd have to issue scuba gear to passengers.

The second time, we wore either gray skirts or pants and white shirts with patches on the sleeves. We also had blazers and ties which no one ever wore. I went to a promotions board wearing the tie and blazer and was told to take it off. I'd be more comfortable and they all knew me, so "dressing up" wasn't going to impress anyone. It was meant kindly, not meant that I wasn't going to be promoted (I was). That uniform wasn't really too bad. Except for the tie and blazer, that is.

The third time, we were put into greens. A green polyester shirt and pants which were cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The pants had a grey stripe and were the same as I'd worn the first go round. We did have the departmental patch on the sleeves, but were not issued badge and brass this time. After being stopped several times and asked to take some kind of action by citizens, I stopped wearing my uniform to and from work. I left my uniforms at work and changed from street clothes into my uniform when I got to work. Too much liability all around.

When asked what uniform I preferred, I said I did not want the greens. I wasn't ceritified and didn't want anyone to think I was. I explained the liability factor for the department and the sergeants realized that it could be a problem so the career apparel was decided on. The sergeants should have thought about liability. It took a civilian to point it out.

When all this was being talked about, no word was ever discussed that my personal clothing was in any way inappropriate or not in line with official dress code. I think the issue was with my shoes, but no one had the guts to say anything. You see, I wear sneakers. I do not wear heels. I have foot problems and they are alleviated by wearing flats and sneakers. I was married in sneakers. White, yes, but still sneakers. I have one pair of loafers that I wear occassionally.

I later came to find out that the major had already decided that I would be in career apparel, no other uniform was appropriate or considered. I also came to find out that notice was put into my contact record that my lack of professional attire was discussed with me. I know for a fact this was done, it wasn't reported to me by anyone else. This statement is false, untrue, and an out-and-out lie along with other statements.

In any case, I was lead to believe that the issue of going into career apparel came about because my supervisors made the decision. I know now that it came from the major. I began to wonder what else I've been told recently, and in the past, that was not true. Several things came to mind, but nothing I could refute.

Retirement is looking better and better every day. Twenty-one months, two weeks, a few days and I'll be officially eligible.

But who's counting?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!