Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Whooooo Hoooo!!!

Got an email from Barnes and Nobel that my pre-ordered copy of The Fair Tax is being shipped. Yeah, I could have bought it today, but I wanted to be sure that I got a copy and I wanted to be sure that it was counted in pre-order rankings.

People, this is just so important, you can't believe it. But, it's up to us as citizens to let our congresscritters know that we want a national sales tax.

You know, one of the reason I hear against the Fair Tax is that tax avoidance would go sky high. No plan is foolproof. Sure people will do everything they can to avoid paying taxes. They do it now. But the naysayers forget one thing: people have to eat. Food will be taxed. Everyone will pay a "tax" then. One more "but"....every current taxpayer will get a prebate each month that will pay the sales tax on what they are expected to pay for the basic necessities of life...such as food. This is the only plan where the poor truly don't pay taxes.

Everyone gets their entire paycheck (minus deductions for health insurance and the like). There will be no payroll taxes for income tax or Social Security. There will be no corporate taxes (corporations don't pay taxes in the first place. Corporate taxes are passed on to the consumer of the company's product or service). No filling out IRS forms. No paying tax preparers. No waiting for that refund check. It's your money, you shouldn't have to ask for it back. As I said in another post, it's like a child giving money to the parent and then getting some of it back as an allowance.

You will have the power to choose what taxes you pay and how much. If you choose to buy a new car or build a new house, you will pay sales taxes. If you choose to buy a previously owned car or home, you pay no sales tax. Okay, you will pay taxes on food, I can't think of any food that can be used then resold. At least none that I want to buy!

I predict that when (notice I said when, not if), this passes, the American citizen will have more money than they dreamed of. America will become a tax haven for corporations in other countries. Talk about a land of opportunity!

This is all a matter of ownership. You own your paycheck. You own your bank account. You own your choices. Too many congresscritters of both parties want that money. They don't want you to own your future. Why, you might decide that your own congresscritter doesn't have your interests at heart. You might realize that his or her primary interest lies in getting re-elected. If they actually do something that will do something for the folks back home, well, that's just something to point to to prove their worth. You might realize that you have it in your power to fire that critter at the ballot box.

Change is hard. We all like that with which we are familiar. We are comfortable with familiar. It's our safety net. Our binkie. I personally hate change. I like knowing what to expect. But you know what? I also like knowing that the money I have earned is mine. And that any choices made in spending my money are mine to make. If I don't like what Washington is doing, I can start buying used goods whenever possible to keep my money from going to Washington. But truly, how many people are going to do that? Mostly, only the ones who want to "fly under the radar" and for the most part, they do already.

Don't be concerened that everyone will start buying used cars to keep from paying a sales tax on a new car. You and I both know that there are people who will buy new because they can or because they want to impress people by showing how well they are doing (whether they are or not). Same with housing, furniture, second homes, cars, motorcycles, investments, second cars, vacations and so on.

It all comes down to choice. Do you have the guts to take your future, your destiny, in your own hands? Or will you continue to allow Washington to make your decisions for you?

No comments: