Friday, April 01, 2005

Common Law Marriage

It occurred to me after I wrote the post on common law marriage that I had neglected to mention one important reason, the most important reason, why Michael could not be in a common law marriage with his girlfriend.

You might remember that I gave the legal reason (common law marriage does not exist in the state of Florida). But there was one other legal reason he couldn't be in a marriage relationship of any sort. He was still married to Terri at the time.

KipEsqure, an astute reader, pointed it out by commenting that in NY their relationship would be considered adultery. I sometimes am too literal and too focused on the issue at hand (in this case, the fact that common law marriage is not possible in Florida) to see the main point.

It was one of those, "well, duh!" moments when the light went on.

No comments: