Thursday, March 31, 2005

Terri Shiavo
Rest in Peace

Terri passed away this morning at the age of 41. The last 15 years of her life were spent in a condition that few people seem to agree on. Was she really in a persistent vegetative state or was she in a minimal consciousness coma or something else altogether? Was she aware of her surroundings? Did she have an awareness of self? Was she abused by her husband, did he terrorize her even after she was in nursing facilities and hospitals? There has been so much information floating around, some of it true, some not. I don't know what was true or what was not.

The last few years in particular have been mired in controversy. One of the things we know was that she never discussed with her husband what she wanted if she fell into a state where she couldn't speak for herself. It's not unusual that she didn't, she was only in her 20's afterall. Nearly immortal. When we're young, we can't think of our mortality. And, at that age, most won't face even the mortality of their parents for years.

I hope that she didn't know that her loved ones, the people she could count on for anything, her parents and her husband, were fighting over her. Her husband wanted to let her go, to terminate her existence on this earth so that she could go on to the afterlife where she would be whole and be totally conscious of what was going on around her. Her parents wanted her to live. They wanted their daughter, they wanted her to have tests and therapy and whatever it would take to give her a better life.

It's hard to let go. I know. I had to let both of my parents go. It was hard even though I knew that they would be together, and they would be healthy and happy. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier, but we have no choice. We have to let go eventually.

I have to believe that both sides wanted the best for Terri. It's how I have to deal with situations like this. I think that several chances were passed by on both sides to do what was right for Terri. There were many time when either her husband or parents could have given up the fight to win their fight for Terri. None of them would. Mistakes were made and opportunities were passed up. I give them all the benefit of a doubt that they wanted to do what was best for Terri.

I also wanted what was best for Terri. I can't begin to guess which was right. I would have had to have known Terri to know what was right. Her parents and husband all knew Terri and they couldn't agree on what was best for Terri or what she wanted. I do know one thing: I believe that God had a plan for Terri. I don't know what it was, maybe to bring interest to living wills, to bring conservatives together in a cause, or maybe there was another reason I can't know. I do know that God always has a plan and does all things in His own time.

I know that Terri is with Him now. Yes, I believe in God and I believe that Terri is with Him now. Terri deserved to be with God because she was God's child. She was loved here, and she is loved in Heaven. She is healthy and vibrant again. She will never hurt or be hurt again.

Rest in peace, Terri. You deserve it.

No comments: