Saturday, September 18, 2004

Election Observers

The Command Post reports that there will be international observers at our elections in November. After the 2000 election, I'm reasonably certain that the entire world will be watching to see what happens. I know, the world watching is not quite the same as having people specifically watching to see if all votes count or if anyone is disenfranchised.

While I'm insulted that anyone would think our elections are somehow rigged, I say let them come. The more people observing our electoral process is a good thing. Citizens of other countries, oh say, Iran, North Korea, China, and Cuba to mention a few, may realize that this is a process that they like and want to emulate. Not that their leaders want this, mind. But it's one more thing to show the world just why we have it so much better than they do.

It will also show that our voting process is sound. Even if there are people (like rocket scientists) who can't read instructions, and vote other than how they intended. If they didn't vote they way they intended, why did they leave the precinct without asking the poll workers for another ballot? I have voted by punchcard in previous elections. I didn't have any problem voting the way I intended, and I didn't have any hanging chads, either. Did they get outside and all of a sudden have a V-8 moment (slapping their heads and saying "I coulda voted for [name your candidate!]")? I would be ashamed to admit that I voted incorrectly, and left without trying to make it right. If I ever did realize that I voted other that what I wanted, I would either lie about it to anyone who asked (sure, I voted! Cast my vote for Joe Schmoe! Yep, just like I said I would!) or, tell myself that I couldn't be stupid enough to vote incorrectly (nah...I voted for Joe Schmoe just like I planned all along. I'm not so stupid that I can't [punch or bubble or touch a screen choose whichever is appropriate]) and vote the way I want.

Is the voting process perfect? Of course not! Whenever humans are involved there will be problems. Either manufactured as in creating problems in getting absentee ballots to the military, or real as in problems with voting machines. It happens, rarely, but voting machines do go on the blink.

I heard that somewhere, probably here in Florida, there is court action that is delaying the sending of absentee ballots to military personnel. If the ballots don't go out on time, they may not come back in time to be counted. Gee, I wonder who could be causing the delay? I'm sure no one would want to keep the military, who generally vote Republican, from being counted in the election.

I have a suggestion to alleviate the problem with absentee military votes. Since the ballots have to be mailed out so far in advance in order for the soldier, sailor, airman, or marine to vote and get the ballot back to their home elections office in time to be counted, why not allow them to vote where they are stationed? Their voting precinct would be their duty station, not their home town. I trust the military with protecting my country, I would also trust that someone at their duty station could run a voting precinct honestly.

No comments: