Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Show Me the Votes

Michelle Malkin is reporting that Kerry has picked Dick Gephardt of Missouri to make the run for the White House.

My guess is that Gephardt was chosen because he is from Missouri, the Heartland of America. He'll bring that down-home, just folks touch that Kerry so obviously lacks. Kerry, wearing work boots and jeans, claims that he understands what the average American feels and how they think. Well, this average American would like to know how anyone with his bank account can possibly relate to me and people like me. Most average Americans struggle everyday and work paycheck to paycheck hoping that the car won't need new brakes or little Johnnie or Susie won't need braces. We hope that the car insurance or the property taxes won't go up and that our next raise won't put us into the next higher tax bracket so that even with a raise, we're taking home less money. Don't laugh, it's happened to me.

As a boy, John Kerry says he spent summers on a farm. He rode a tractor and learned his first cuss word on a John Deere. Isn't that impressive? I wonder if he mucked out a barn or got sweaty and dirty bringing in the crops. Did he slop the pigs or feed the chickens or milk the cows? My dad did all that and more. Dad also spent summers on farms. His grandparents and aunts and uncles on both sides had farms. His parents had a cow and chickens at home. I sincerely doubt that John Kerry ever got up before dawn to milk the cow before breakfast and school. I have doubts that he ever worked the farm. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I ever did either. I never milked a cow, brought in crops, and the only time I ever rode a tractor was as a little girl when my Dad sat me on his lap and let me drive it.

There is no way John Kerry can understand what it's like to be an Average American. It would be like me saying I understand what it's like to be a sharecropper in Alabama. I have no idea whether Gephardt bring in the votes, but he is from Missouri, the Show Me state.

But, can he show Kerry the votes?

No comments: