Sunday, November 30, 2003

Tossed Salad

I had to take some online training for my job, and because I am the world's greatest procrastinator, I had to do it today. One part of the training was devoted to Cultural Diversity. Now, I have stated that I don't go out of my way to insult, denigrate, humiliate, embarrass, or in any other way challenge people because of their race, creed, ethnicity, religious or sexual preference, abilities or disabilities, or even general stupidity (although there are times the gloves come off when someone is abusing the privilege of being stupid). I call this being socialized.

We used to live in a Melting Pot society. That, as you probably know, is when people from other countries immigrate to the US and assimilate into the American society. In days gone by, it was the desire of immigrants to become Americans and leave the old world behind. When entering the "melting pot" they became what they believed native born Americans were and left the traditions and customs of their heritage behind.

The new term, "Tossed Salad" has replaced "Melting Pot." Now immigrants bring their traditions and cultures with them. Those already here embrace and celebrate their heritage.

Look at a tossed salad: you started with the basic lettuce and have added all the ingredients with their flavors and textures. You might not miss one or another, but each ingredient brings a richness and fullness to the salad. Think of a melting pot as a fondue pot. Everything is melted together and you taste mainly one ingredient - cheese, chocolate, or whatever. As good as the fondue might be, it doesn't have the same effect as the salad does.

A lettuce salad is a dish that is fine as it is, but when you start adding all the flavors, colors, and textures of the carrots, apples, walnuts, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, peppers (red, yellow, and green), onions (chopped, diced, sliced), croutons (garlic or plain), ham, chicken, turkey, shredded or chunk cheese (think of all the choices), or anything else you can think of, not to mention, dressing, you have a salad! So much better than plain lettuce (unless that's what you want, then plain is fine too).

I like living in a world where I can have the variety of Greek, Mexican, Italian, and Chinese foods (among so many others). I couldn't have that if someone from those countries hadn't brought their recipes with them. I don't want international cuisine everyday, but isn't the choice nice to have?

I don't know about you, but I don't want to eat hamburgers and fries every day.

Immigration

Now that I've come out in favor of a Tossed Salad society, I have to talk about immigration.

Immigrants are one of the things that made America great. We all descend from immigrants. Even the Indian tribes came across the land bridge from Russia into Alaska or migrated on boats to North America. I, myself, am a tenth generation American. My ancestors migrated here from Europe before the Revolutionary War. I didn't have a choice in coming here, but there are millions of people who did.

They come here because life in their country stinks or they want a better life for themselves or their families. I admire anyone who thinks they can become something more in America than they can in their home country. I can't tell you how proud I am that they chose my country as their Land of Opportunity. Anyone who wants to make a life for themselves can do it; they can become the CEO of a major corporation; become a doctor, lawyer, or teacher; own a Mom and Pop corner grocery store; or they can work for someone else and make a good living. They can even become a government employee like me.

But, (here's the kicker) I want all immigrants to be legal and properly documented. There are entirely too many illegal immigrants living in this country who are being supported in one way or another by your (and my) tax dollars. Note the difference: I referred to immigrants as both legal and illegal. I have no problem with legal immigrants. God Bless them.

Now, you're going to say that many illegals are decent, honest people earning livings and supporting themselves and their families. You're right, most are and do. So, if they are such decent, honest and productive members of society why aren't they here legally?

Too many times they come here and because they aren't documented they can't get jobs and then end up on some kind of welfare. They illegally cross the border and then want to get driver's licenses and identification so they can vote! Let them come legally, and I'll be the first to say, "Welcome! Here's the address of the Driver's License and employment offices. And when you become a citizen, I drive you to the Elections Office so you can become a registered voter." Well, I might not go that far, but then I'm not ranting about legal immigrants, am I?

Don't tell me illegal immigrants pay taxes - they do not pay income tax because they don't have jobs. And the ones who have jobs are usually day labor, are paid in cash, and do not pay income taxes. Yes, they do pay taxes on goods they buy, but so do you, and I, and so do legal immigrants.

Some illegals actually have real jobs because some employers don't ask too many questions about their legal status. Those employers want cheap labor. The illegal immigrant knows this and still takes the job because it's better than what they had. They might even manage to get a Social Security card and pay income taxes. But guess what? If they didn't come here legally, they are still not legal! Social Security card or not!

Where in the Constitution of the United States does it say that tax money should be spent to support illegal immigrants or that they should be given identification to get welfare, driver's licenses, and be able to vote? Where does it say that anyone can come to this country illegally but getting a job and paying taxes makes it all better?

My rant is about those who for whatever reason are here illegally and want the same rights and privileges of legal immigrants and citizens. If they want the same rights and privileges, they have to accept the same responsibilities of those who are here legally. Those of us living in America are subject to the laws of America and society. Being here illegally, however noble the reasons and honest the life, is still against the law.

No comments: