Monday, December 01, 2003

Native American

I filled out a survey and came to the part where they request demographics. You know, age, sex, education, race, salary and so on. The part that stands my hair on end is the race question.

Almost always, one of the choices is "Native American." Now, I know what is meant. They are referring to the various tribes such as Cherokee, Sioux, Apache, Cree, and Blackfoot among others.

However, I resent the term "Native American" referring to one specific group of people. I was born in this county, The United States of America, on the North American continent. Therefore, I am a native American.

Yes, I understand the difference between the capital N and the lowercase N in the word "native." It's the term as it's applied that I object to.

I resent that this term excludes the millions of native born Americans both past and present. As I have stated before, I am a tenth generation American. There are those whose families have been in this country longer, and those who were born yesterday who are native Americans. Let's not forget the Canadians. They are native Americans, and so are South Americans. We are all native Americans. Why should this term apply to comparably few as opposed to the millions?

I don't know what term to use instead of Native American. What was wrong with Indian? Well, aside from the fact that Columbus thought he was in the West Indies, that is. Another man refusing to ask directions and getting lost?. (No...I won't go down that road - this time :D ) How about the Canadian term First People?

Why do we have to have demographics anyway? It's separating us into "us" and "them." Black, White, Hispanic, Irish, Italian, German. I know, I talked about the "Tossed Salad" in another post and I still think it's a great concept.

Why can't we be American first and then of Irish descent? or Mexican descent? Italian, German, Swedish and so forth. We can be Americans and still contribute to the salad.

Why can't we be Americans?

No comments: