Sunday, November 02, 2008

Obama and Flag


Now, before anyone starts yelling that I'm perpetuating a hoax, please read on.

I believe that the above picture is photoshopped. My reasoning comes from looking specifically at the women in the photo. Their images are noticeably smaller than the images of the men. They aren't standing so far away that the size difference can be explained by a spacial difference. Three are looking in pretty much the same direction, one is looking in another direction. So, having decided it was photoshopped, I pretty much ignored this photo when it first came out. If it is photoshopped, it's a pretty lousy job, in my opinion; it didn't fool me. If it's real, well, then I guess I'm a pretty lousy judge of photos. 

I'm only using the photo now as an example of the gist of my post. Obama is supposedly not saluting the American flag by putting his hand over his heart. I've heard this is not the only time he's failed to salute the flag. That could be true, it could be false; I haven't researched it (at this point, it doesn't make much difference whether it's true or not). This photo, being as I believe, photoshopped, could be from an entirely different event. I don't care if it was photoshopped or not, or even the reasons (obviously done to make Obama look bad). It could be from the event it's said to be from. I don't question Obama's patriotism. I believe that his plans, if elected president, will be made and carried out with the best interests of the nation at heart. For me, that's patriotism - doing what's best for the country and it's citizens. 

Now, that being said, I come to the point of my post. Obama has been critized for not putting his hand over his heart when it would be appropriate to do so. I just heard his explanation: He didn't know he was on camera. Does he only salute the flag when the camera is rolling?

Now, it's possible that the others were saluting the flag prematurely and Obama just hadn't raised his hand yet. Doesn't sound too plausible simply because the others were saluting the flag already, but it's possible.

And let's not forget what I call the 800 pound gorilla in the corner: perception. Even if the photo is fake, it leaves the perception that Obama does not exhibit patriotism. If a man will not put his hand over his heart to support the flag, does he support what the viewer's concept of being an American is? Perception is everything. Since I do not personally know Obama, I have to judge (yes, judge) him by what he says and does. I have no other way to decide what the man stands for. I can listen to what his supporters say, but that's colored by their opinion.

And before you ask, yes, there are things that I do in the privacy of my own home that I don't do in public; I'm sure that you have a list of similar things you don't do in public either. And, while we're at it, if a ballgame comes on TV, I don't always stand and salute the flag when it appears and the National Anthem plays. It's not expected of anyone and not part of Flag etiquette to do so. While this post is about flag etiquette, that's not the point. For the purposes of this post, I don't really care whether he salutes the flag at all or not. That's an entirely different post. My problem is with the explanation given. 

For me, personal integrity is all important; you must be true to who you are and what you believe. When you aren't, you violate your own code of honor and it diminishes you in your own eyes.You are being hypocritical when you do something that you believe no one knows about, but would do something different if your actions were to be known by others. At the very least, you are lying to yourself about your values.

Some things are ingrained in all of us. We know, when we see the flag in certain circumstances, that we rise to our feet, face and salute the flag (hands over heart, hats removed, standing at attention and right hand to forehead salute). Sometimes we recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and sing the National Anthem. We then sit and continue with the event.

Assuming that this was a situation where he did not salute the flag, we must ask, is not saluting the flag part of his personal character? If so, then why? Is this something he only does when he knows the camera is on or he's in the public eye? If he does something only because he's in public and/or in the presence of media, and not something he would do when the media is not around, then I have to question whether this is someone I want in the White House. I would prefer to know that he never salutes the flag, than to know that he only does when the camera is on.

This is not really about whether he salutes the flag or not. It's about his personal core of values, his ethics, his integrity. Is he really what he says he is, or appears to be? Or is he someone else when the cameras are not rolling. 

If you will lie to yourself, will you lie to me, the taxpayer, the American citizen? And what will you lie about?

No comments: