Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Yesterday on my way to lunch at Doe's, I passed one of the homeless guys in that area, with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money."

Once in the Doe's my waiter had on a "Obama 08" tee shirt.

When the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him while he had given me exceptional service, that his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Senator Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth. I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone that I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. He stood there in disbelief and angrily stormed away.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful.

As I got in my truck, I realized this rather unscientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn.

Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on, with those doing the work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joke or not, truth or not, this is a great way to teach what "spreading the wealth" really means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's one of the great mysteries of modern politics how god-fearing Christians have come to believe in the financial philosophies of the GOP. Taxes and social programs were created out of Christian ideals, to support the community and help those less fortunate. Did Jesus preach helping the poor, or hoarding every last cent you earn? Besides, only those making $200,000 or more are asked to sacrifice, and those already giving to charity can write it off. It is a perfectly reasonable request to make of those already living comfortably-- to share their success with those who've been dealt a less fortunate hand (including many who work just as hard as anyone else, for far less money). How is it that Christians can describe liberal programs as "selfish" for their very emphasis on helping others? It only speaks to a lack of critical thinking or self consciousness. "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to pass into heaven." That's your holy book. Have you read it?

Kitten said...

And I hope that it stays that only the "evil rich" will make the patriotic sacrifice to pay additional taxes. But, if history has told us anything, it will eventually hit the middle class and we'll be the ones left holding the bag.

I have no problem with those who wish to help others. I just want to be the one who chooses who I help. I don't want Big Brother to tell me who I have to help. Christian values teach that it's the local community who should help their families, friends, and neighbors, not the guy in the next county or state, or across the country.

And by the way, I have read the Bible, have you? Doesn't sound like it to me.