Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My Computer Was In A Snit

I couldn’t post for the last couple of nights. My computer apparently had a fight with the modem and they weren't speaking. At least, the computer wasn't speaking to the modem.
Whatever the fight was about, it apparently started Sunday evening. I was noodling around on the ‘Net and suddenly wasn’t able to access any sites. As it was fairly late in the evening, and I had to get up early for work on Monday, I just shut down and went to bed. I’ve found that shutting down sometimes fixes whatever the problem is. I don’t know…maybe something gets reset or something.

Shutting down didn't work this time. When I tried again Monday evening, it still wasn’t working. So, I called Bright House. In the past, they’ve been able to resolve the problem over the phone, either by doing a reset or having me do something. I guess his computer couldn’t figure out what the problem was, so I wasn’t told to do anything and we scheduled an appointment for a tech to come and check it out.

The tech couldn’t get here until today, so I played some games and did some things that I could do without the Internet. I actually got some work done around the house that I had been wanting to do and just hadn’t because I could always find something more interesting or more fun than whatever wasn’t on the computer. I guess I’m addicted. Do I need an intervention? A 12-step program maybe?

My name is Kitten and I’m a computer and Internet addict.

The tech was scheduled to come between noon and 2 pm. He got here about 1:45. Bright House promised between noon and 2 and he kept the promise. He waved his wand and got out his crystal ball and gazed into it. He waved his wand again and it was fixed. Okay, there was no wand and no crystal ball but he did fix it. I am of the opinion that computer techies are part wizard and should be revered as demi-gods. It’s like magic to me when they can get these things to do the things they do. It turned out to be a bad Ethernet plug on the router. He just switched to another plug and everything is hunky-dory again.

I hardly had time to go through withdrawal. I didn’t even get the shakes. Maybe I’m not quite as addicted as I feared? I’m beginning to wonder if I have a problem of some sort with machinery. My van is on the fritz. The computer was in a snit. And my dishwasher is making a funny noise.

Do you think Obama can fix all this? People seem to think he can work miracles. I haven’t seen him walk on water, but I usually turn the TV off when he comes on. I guess I won’t be watching much news for at least the next four (possibly eight) years. Not that I’ve watched much network news for about the last…gosh…ten years or more.

It’s amazing to think that someone who spent more time campaigning for the Presidency than he spent on Capitol Hill as a Senator could win the Oval Office. However, it did happen. I’m not happy about it, but I’m not going to start packing my bags and moving. I’m not going to pout and say he’s not my President. The last I knew, I was an American, and he is the President Elect of the United States. I didn’t vote for him, and I may not like him, but that doesn’t mean I won’t give him the respect the office deserves. I just hope that he proves to be worthy of the title of President of the United States of America.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t expect him to be. I just don’t know at this time that he is. How can we know that anyone who is running for POTUS is really worthy of the office? We did elect Jimmy Carter, after all.

I had a feeling that the election would turn out as it did. The Republicans nominated a candidate whose campaign wasn’t what it could have been. McCain himself didn’t really come unto himself until the end of the campaign and then it was just too late. I still believe that Sarah Palin was an inspired choice. I like McCain, but think that there had to have been someone in the Republican Party who could have been better against Obama. Who? I don’t know, I certainly don't know every Republican.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. We may never know or understand why something happens, but there is a reason for it. I have to believe that Obama was elected because there is something he, and only he, must do. It may be something very innocuous that is never recognized as being “the thing”. I have to believe that it’s meant that he be in a certain place to fulfill this “destiny” if you will, and that he could only do this as President, whatever it may be.

In any case, while I have reservations about Obama as President, without a doubt, he is. I will not be a hypocrite and jump on the Obama bandwagon. I will continue to watch him with a wary eye and I will opine on what I feel is necessary and appropriate. I will continue my policy of not posting anything that I know to be false. I will give him credit as it is due and will criticize when I feel it's necessary. I really do try to be fair and balanced. I may not always succeed, but I am human after all.

So, all that being said, Let the games begin!

1 comment:

Chris Berry/BHN Insider said...

I'm glad Bright House was able to fix the internet issue rather easily with little time! Thanks for sharing.