Monday, June 25, 2007

And Another Move

I reported on the 21st that I had moved back to Thunderdome. Well, I've been moved again. Now, I'm training in the female housing unit. Our assignments are on a day-to-day basis and we work where we're needed. I'm still in training, so I go where I need the training. Or where my supervisors need me at the moment.

This unit houses not only females, but also the juvenile male offenders. Separately, of course, but within the same unit. Female also has it's own lockdown. There is a general population section, two working sections, juvenile, and lockdown.

I'm not thrilled to be working in the female unit. It's well known that women in jail tend to be harder to deal with than men. I've only spent one day here so far, and can't say that it's true. My trainer assures me it is true. The women are whiny and complaining according to her. She is one of the most laid back women I know, so if she says this about female inmates, there must be at least some truth to it. But, I will try to keep an open mind and find out for myself. I'll find out whether this "known fact" is really true or not after I've spent some time there.

I can deal with male inmates trying to flirt with me. Whiny women is another story. Men complain, women whine. It doesn't mean that all men complain and all women whine. Of course it works both ways. Some men do whine and some women do complain. But, I find "whiny" more difficult to deal with, whether male or female, young or old, than a complainer.

At some point, I'll go to the high-security unit, trusty, medical, and the last general population unit. Each one has different needs that I'll have to train for. I don't deal easily with change. Actually, I guess it's not the change so much as the not knowing what I'm doing. I'm much better after I've been there for a bit and have an idea of what I'm doing.

Quite frankly, I expect more from women than I do from men. I expect women to deal with a situation, not to dwell on it and whine about it. But, I know that it happens. I've been known to dwell on problems and situations myself. I don't think I've gone so far as to make people want to avoid me, or to wish I'd just get over it. If I have, I apologize.

Inmates who have to go somewhere must get there on time and guess who is responsible for coordinating this? The CRO tells the deputy who actually gets the inmate out of the housing unit, but we keep track of who is going out, where they are going, who is still out, who has visitation, and who is being released. We keep all doors secure and make sure that only those who are supposed to go through a door, goes through that door. We direct the traffic in and out of the dorms. Security is our first priority.

I just hope when I go back to work on Wednesday that I'll still have a trainer. What happens during the week is very different than what happens on the weekends. Sunday, in particular, is a very laid back and quiet day. During the week, some of the females go out to work assignments. Others may go to GED classes. Work assignments may be sewing, housekeeping, commissary, and horticulture. We used to have a culinary arts class, but I understand that has ended. The juveniles go to regular school classes. And, as I said, it's the CRO who has to know where everyone is.

One might think of life as a buffet. This is just one of the many choices I can make in life. Some will be better than others, and others are more to someone else's tastes. And some choices are just wrong. But it all comes together to offer choices and experiences that make us who we are.

In about three years or so, I'll be sampling another offering from the buffet of life: retirement. But I must get through this part of life before I can go on to that part.

No comments: