Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Interesting Thought

A letter to the editor of a newspaper from a reader in Riddle, Oregon. led to the following thoughts:

I have to work for a living and I receive a paycheck for that work. In order to receive that paycheck I have to pass a random urine test. I have no problem with that.

From my paycheck, the government takes taxes and uses the money as they see fit. I have no problem with that. Some of that money goes to welfare recipients. In general, I have no problem with that, but I do have a question.

Why do I have to pass a random urine test to get my paycheck when welfare recipients don't have the same requirement?

Here's one argument: many welfare recipients are single mothers who use their welfare money to take care of their children.

I certainly don't want to take money from children, but, if Mom can't pass a urine test, should she even have custody of those kids? I'm not advocating that she lose her kids, but maybe she can get treatment before losing custody? Is it in the best interest of those kids to be with a mother on drugs? Who can't feed, house and clothe her kids without assistance from welfare programs?

Another argument: many people on welfare can't get jobs.

Why not? Most local governments offer job training assistance. If education is a problem, take the training necessary to get a job that will welfare. Oh, the child situation again. hmmm...can't Mom make a deal with a friend or relative to take care of her kids until she gets a job? Then, Mom can repay the friend or relative by helping her to get job training.

Jobs aren't available? Not everyone wants to clean houses or flip burgers, I know I don't, but it brings in a paycheck.

There are certain jobs that Americans won't do? Well, in a western state recently, I believe it was a packinghouse advertised for workers after losing most of their staff to immigration arrests. Hundreds of Americans showed up, some carrying different types of documentation showing they were American citizens. And guess what? They spoke English!

Can't live on minimum wage? Well, it's going up to $7.25 an hour soon, thanks to the Democratic Congress. Minimum wage is entry level. When the employee shows they are willing to work (showing up, showing up on time, doing the least they have to do - just make an effort), they will get a raise. Those who show more than just an effort will go further, but that's another post.

Cut back on the cell phones, the iPods, the name-brand shoes, and clothes and maybe you can get by. Ladies, you might have to do without the two inch nails and manicures and hair coloring and fancy (and maybe not-so-fancy) do's for awhile. When you're making a living and paying bills, you can do that again once the bills are paid and food is in the cupboards.

I'm not saying all, but a lot of people on welfare are also on drugs. Why do you think the most drug ridden areas of town tend to be in the "low-rent" areas? I see it everyday in my job and in the newspaper. Drug dealers and users come in all socio-economic flavors, but I'm not discussing anything but welfare recipients right now.

And no, I'm not saying that if drug testing were instituted to get a welfare check, anyone who tested positive should be arrested on the spot. But, maybe they could get counseling and treatment. And if after failing a specified number of tests in a certain period of time their checks stopped, well, maybe it would be a wake-up call for them.

In the meantime, isn't it worth a thought? Many of us have to pass a urine test in order to collect a paycheck. Shouldn't it be also required of those who get a welfare check?

No comments: