Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Funeral Arrangements

My brother and I went to the funeral home Friday to make arrangements for my husband's remains.

I had decided that there would be no viewing. Because of his health, he really didn't have many friends here in Bradenton, and his family is scattered across east Florida, South Carolina, and Indiana. He will be cremated. That is what his family does and what my family does too. And, to be honest, I had to make arrangements that were as economical as possible. He had no insurance because of his health, and we have minimal savings. I had always intended to look into those insurance plans you see offered on TV and in mailings. You know the ones, no medical exam, a certain amount per month per age group, etc. I just hadn't gotten around to it. I thought there would be plently of time for that. Sure.

I've been asked about a service. I've decided that there will not be a memorial service; rather, we'll have a party in celebration of his life. I can't bring myself to do it right now, but in a few months when we've all had a chance to learn what our new "normal" is. His family has been kind enough to say that whatever I decide is fine with them.

As Scarlett said, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." Well, I won't go crazy, but I will think about it tomorrow, or at least another day.

No comments: