Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Moe...

Matt Margolis, writing at Blogs for Bush, says this about the replacement for Justice O'Connor:

Sources tell me the "short list" for Sandra Day O'Connor's replacement (based on conversations with people of different groups that meet with the White House regularly) are as follows:

TIER 1:

Priscilla Owen
Harriet Miers
Raoul G. Cantero III
Mel Martinez


TIER 2:

Janice Rogers Brown
Karen Williams
Larry Thompson


Yeah! Four women in the list. I'm not really a "feminist", I prefer to think of myself as a "humanist." I'd love to see another woman on the Supreme Court, but it has to be someone who would follow the law, not be an activist. And isn't it funny, that liberals/Democrats don't want a conservative activist judge and conservative/Republicans don't want a liberal activist judge? Depends on which side of the fence you're sitting on as to whether a nominee is an activist or not.

And Mel Martinez? At least we'd get him out of the Senate. My reason for wanting him out? Even before he was elected to the Senate, I sent emails asking his stand on the FairTax issue. When I finally got an answer it was, well, Mel hasn't had a chance to familiarize himself with the FairTax. My radar went up (you know how passionate I am about getting the FairTax passed). Here was a man aspiring to the United States Senate and he wasn't familiar with the FairTax. To be fair, I have to admit that the FairTax wasn't the 400-pound gorilla it is today. So I waited.

After he took office, I began sending emails asking if he had familiarized himself with the legislation (HR25/S25). The reply I got was something to the effect that when it is introduced to the Senate, he would make a decision. My answer? Uh, Senator, it's been introduced, that's why it's marked S25. Since then, I've had basically the same reply.

Maybe he's just hedging his bets for the time being. Flying under the radar, so to speak (a position I have frequented myself on many occasion and a not necessarily bad place to be) and doesn't want to let his position be known. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...for now. I'd prefer that to thinking he's too ignorant to know anything about the FairTax. Maybe he's really in line for a nomination to the SOCUS. It would be in his interest to keep his opinion to himself. Not give the "other side" more ammunion.

On the other hand, it would be sweet to have the first Hispanic judge be a Floridian. Too bad it can't be a black, Hispanic female from Tampa. Who could possibly find fault? Only a racist, sexist, maybe even ageist, Yankee. But then, I really try not to point fingers or call names.

Okay, of the list above, Tier 1 and 2, who do you think will be the nominee?

2 comments:

W.C. Varones said...

Harriet Miers? I don’t think so.

Kitten said...

Hi, Stan and WC! Thanks for stopping by My Corner. Stan, looks like you called it!