Sunday, July 17, 2005

Sandy Berger Sentencing Delayed

I know most of you probably know this. Sentencing that was supposed to be handed down on July 8 has been postponed until September. As far as I know, no reason has been given. Speculation is that U.S. Magistrate Deborah Robinson is opposing the light sentencing recommendations: a $10,000 fine, a three-year suspension of Berger's security clearance and no jail time.

Let's see, this is a man who mistakenly put classified documents in his pants, socks, and briefcase when leaving the National Archives, then accidently destroyed some of these documents.

I'm still wondering how anyone could "mistakenly" put documents into his pants and socks. The briefcase I can sort of believe. I've picked up documents with other documents from my desk. That's something that, while it shouldn't happen, it does. But even in my most distracted state I've never put documents in my clothing.

Sorry, I can't accept that this was a mistake. Sandy Berger is a thief. He should lose his security clearance permanently, receive a fine of at least $100,000 and spend at least a year in jail, which is the maximum sentence for a misdemeanor. I wish it could only be more.

Can you guess what would happen if Conde Rice were in this situation? They'd try to bury her under the prison. There would be no misdemeanor pleas, she'd have the book thrown at her.

Right is right and Wrong is wrong. Allowing Berger to plead to a misdemeanor and get a recommendation that amounts to no more than a slap on the wrist.

No comments: