Sunday, April 10, 2005

Mae Magouirk Update

Miss Mae has been airlifted to the University of Alabama-Birmingham according to her nephew Ken Mullinax. She is receiving receiving food, fluids, cardiac care, and neurological help.

I posted on Miss Mae on Friday. I've learned a little more about Miss Mae and how she came to be in the hospital in the first place. Apparently she suffers from a aorta dissection (don't ask me what that is, I've never heard of it). As does her sister. It may come to a place where she needs surgery but it's not now.

From all I have read about Beth Gaddy, the granddaughter who had her admitted to the hosice and then arranged that feeding and hydration be stopped, she had the best of motives. Apparently she felt that it would be in Miss Mae's best interests, and that Miss Mae was ready "to go home." Until I know differently, I won't say that her reasons were anything but pure.

My only question is that since it was contrary to Miss Mae's Living Will, why was this done at all? People have Living Wills for a reason: so that their loved ones will know what their wishes are if they can't speak for themselves. Ms. Gaddy and the Probate Court judge apparently decided that Miss Mae didn't know what she wanted, and the Living Will was worthless, or that Miss Mae had changed her mind and couldn't change her Living Will. I don't know what transpired between Miss Mae and Ms. Gaddy. In my opinion, the court, Ms. Gaddy, and the hospice were all wrong in going against a written document which expressed Miss Mae's wishes.

And why was she admitted to a hospice. Apparently, Miss Mae was not terminal. Isn't that what a hospice is for? To help the terminal during their last days? If she had gotten to a place where she didn't need hospitalization, but needed care, an assisted living facility would be the place where she should have been placed.

Very curious.

World Net Daily link

No comments: