Friday, March 11, 2005

Help Needed

Does anyone remember a "cigarette" from the late '70's or early '80's called Free! ? It used dried and shredded cocoa bean husks to replace the tobacco in cigarettes. When you smoked, it tasted like chocolate. The menthol tasted like mint flavored chocolate.

Does anyone remember this? Anyone know of a similar product available now? My husband is trying to quit smoking and swears that when he tried this way back in the day, he could have quit. For some reason, he only smoked a pack or two then went back to tobacco. Apparently, there was a quarantee that if you smoked a carton, your taste buds would have sufficiently changed to make tobacco taste awful.

A gmail invitation (if wanted) will be awarded to anyone with information leading to the arrest...err....location of this or similar product.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds tasty. I'm intrigued not from a quitting standpoint but from a "new fun thing!" standpoint. As for actually being healthy, I thought part of the problem was just the whole "burning stick in your mouth" issue, even if it wasn't that particular odd plant, tobacco. Is the idea just that you lose the tobacco craving first, then deal with the oral fixation next? (From chocolate cigarettes to candy cigarettes, then to lollypops like Kojak?)

Kitten said...

I'm not a smoker, never have been, but I have to admit that when he was telling me about it, I had thoughts of trying this out myself!

I'm not sure of what the idea was behind the concept, but it sounds like a winner to me. Sounds like it was too good an idea and the tobacco companies had to put a stop to this product.