Saturday, August 07, 2004

SwiftVets

I know there are links all over the blogosphere to the Swiftvets site, but here is yet another one.

Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry. Here's a link to Amazon in case you're interested in the book. Here you can preview a chapter of the book itself.

And here, a link to Dr. Louis Letson's recollection of treating Lt. (jg) Kerry's wound, the one for which he received his first Purple Heart.

I would never, being the sister of a Vietnam Vet, disparage Kerry's service in Vietnam, all four months of it. He risked his life for the four months he was there and for that we all owe him thanks. Do we owe him the Presidency? Not at all. I personally don't much care about what he did 35 years ago. Just because he served in the military, doesn't make him Presidential material. I'm much more concerned with what he's done since he's been in the Senate. That is what I prefer to base my opinion of the man on.

That being said, the very fact that he is the one who makes an issue of his military service, brings it into fair play. He can't tell his version of what happened in Vietnam, but try to stop others from telling their story. I wasn't there, I have no knowledge of his four months of service. I have to take what he says, and what the men who served alongside him (not necessarily those in the boat with him) have to say and try to figure out where the truth lay. And, at this time, I have to wonder what the Swift boat vets have to gain except a lot of grief by telling their version of the facts. Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in between. The truth is out there.

No comments: