Saturday, August 28, 2004

Dual Voting

I missed this earlier in the week. Well, didn't really miss it, just didn't have a chance to post on it when it first came out. Apparently there are some 46000 New York City residents who vote in both Florida and New York. I'm assuming they use absentee ballots to vote in the state other than which they are in on election day. This is a Federal offense punishable by up to five years in prison.

I am guessing that these voters own property in both states. I understand that they want to be able to have a say in voting on property tax issues. But honestly! Do they really believe they have a right to vote in two states? I guess that people like Senator Kerry who owns homes in at least three states (Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Idaho) should have three votes? The richer you are the more votes you deserve? I don't think so. And before anyone accuses me of class warfare (pitting the evil rich against the down trodden poor), don't. Just don't go there. It's about people committing a felony, and casting two votes for whatever reason. Period.

Oh, I forgot, these are probably poor, poverty stricken people and so deserve special treatment.

No comments: