I received this in email, so I have no idea where it originated (if anyone knows, please let me know so I can give proper credit). I already made a few changes even before I got this. I made some notes about my changes or just a thought or two about the suggestion.
It's certainly full of good ideas, so here it is:
1. Drink plenty of water. (I bought a Liv Pure Fit and Fresh water bottle so that I can get more water every day. It's hard; I just don't like the taste, or lack of taste, in water and adding a packet of something to give said water a different flavor just seems to defeat the purpose. The Fit Pure Fit and Fresh also has a filter cartridge and I'm not sure how an additive would be affected.)
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar. (This one is easy on my work days. I eat breakfast and lunch at work in the employee dining room. I don't really feel much like eating at dinner time. I'm working on my off days.)
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants. (Hard for me. I like my meat and potatoes, but I have added more veggies to my diet and reduced the amount of sweets.)
4. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy
5. Make time to pray.
6. Play more games (I'm assuming this doesn't mean mind games, but board games, or card games and such with your friends and family)
7. Read more books than you did in 2009. (I am reading more, trying to incorporate a few non-fiction books in with the cozy mysteries I prefer.)
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
9. Sleep for 7 hours. (I'm trying to get more sleep. Before I started this job, I was able to stay up til midnight and still get 6-7 hours of sleep every night. Now,I have to be asleep by 9 to get seven hours. That goes against decades of midnight sleep times. Not easy to change, but I'm working on it.)
10. Take a 10-30 minutes walk daily. And while you walk, smile. (I walk on a treadmill at least 30 minutes a day every day I work - seven out of 14 days. Not much, but it's a start. I'm working up to more. And if it will warm up just a bit, I want to walk outdoors on my days off. Sorry, this is Florida, and when the temps are in the 30's during the afternoon, it's just too cold for this girl!)
11. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. Don't have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
13. Don't over do. Keep your limits.
14. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
15. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.
16. Dream more while you are awake.
17. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
18. Forget issues of the past. Don't remind your partner with His/her mistakes of
the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.
20. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
22. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others. (Even if it's just a smile or a cheery "Hello!". You never know when something as simple as a smile could make a difference in someone else's life.)
27. Forgive everyone for everything. (Don't hold grudges. They are too heavy to lug around for the rest of your life).
28. Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
29. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is none of your business. (Would you be any happier knowing someone doesn't like you than thinking they do? And you won't waste time trying to make them like you.)
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
32. Do the right thing! (Sometimes it's harder to do what's right. But it's so much better to do what's right because you don't have to remember to keep your story straight, or whom you told what. When you do the right thing, you only have to remember what you did.)
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful. (I can speak to personal experience. Being a pack rat, a hoarder, or whatever you want to call it doesn't make you happy. I'm sorting our my house and getting rid of things I don't need, isn't useful to me, or doesn't make me happy. I feel so much better every time something leaves the house. It's hard, but I'm learning that I don't need most of these things to make me happy.)
34. GOD heals everything. (Another thing I've learned. But...if you are sick, you should see a doctor. God did provide us with the knowledge to know that there are times when seeing a doctor is a very good idea.)
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
36. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up. (The only time you shouldn't show up is if you are sick and contagious. You don't need to spread the germs.)
37. The best is yet to come. (The Power of Positive Thinking. It WORKS!)
38. When you awake alive in the morning, thank GOD for it.
39. Your Innermost is always happy. So, be happy.