Friday, May 04, 2007

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
- Thomas Jefferson

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
3. Colt: The original point and click interface.
4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
7. "Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.
9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
14. Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.
15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.
20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
23. Enforce the "gun control laws" we ALREADY have, don't make more.
24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
26. "A government of the people, by the people, for the people..."

Every one of the above statements are true. Some, I believe more than others. I believe that all Americans have the right to bear arms. It's guaranteed by the Constitution (an interesting read. Try it sometime).

I said that I believe that all Americans have the right to bear arms, but I don't believe that all Americans should bear arms. I believe that only those among us who demonstrate the knowledge and ability to handle guns should bear them. That means that anyone who wants to own a gun should know how it works and what it does when it's used.

I've written that when my father-in-law re-married a few years ago, his new bride preferred not to have guns in the house. He then gave several hand guns, rifles, and a shotgun to my husband. I wasn't too thrilled to have them in our house, but since my husband was familiar with handling weapons, I didn't object. I planned to take gun safety courses and to get a concealed weapons permit. Well, we never got around to doing this when my husband suddenly passed away. My interest in the weapons, limited at best, was now a thing of the past. So, when my father-in-law asked if he could have the guns back, now that they had moved to the country, I was more than willing to return them.

Now
, just because I don't want them around me, doesn't mean that no one should have guns. As I said, those with the knowledge, ability, and desire should have them if they want. II just think that anyone who is going to handle one should know what they are doing and be able to demonstrate that ability. I have to demonstrate my ability to handle another potentially deadly device - a car - before being able to legally drive it. Why shouldn't I have to demonstrate that I can handle a gun before being legally allowed to own one?

Do I have any solutions to taking guns away from those who "shouldn't" have them? No, I can't say that I do. I don't believe in taking guns away from anyone - I just think they should be legally owned by people who know how to use them. It's part of the American culture to own and bear arms, and it's guaranteed by our Constitution.

I don't have guns at the moment, but that doesn't mean I won't see a reason to have them in the future. Especially if I can prove that I am capable of doing so safely. And I don't want anyone to tell me I can't.

It's my right under the Constitution and I refuse to allow anyone to take away that right.

No comments: