Friday, April 14, 2006

T-Day

April 15th. You know what that means. If you haven't filed your taxes you'd better knuckle down and do it. Luckily, for those procrastinators and other last minute filers, you don't have to have your return postmarked until April 17th this year. April 15th, the traditional tax day, falls on Saturday. I guess because the Post Office is closed on Sunday and Postal Workers won't be at work to process those returns, you got a break. Or maybe because Sunday is Easter Sunday. I really don't know and do care. I've already filed and got my return.

Yes, I know, I'm giving the government a tax free loan for a year by having too much taken out in taxes. I understand this, but if I have to pay taxes, I would just as soon be sure that we don't owe taxes. It's my choice. I don't say anything about you paying just exactly enough now, do I? And maybe having to shell out a few buck? In addition to what you've already paid? I think that's the real reason why I allow my employer to take more out of my paycheck every payday than really needed. It would really get to me if I paid taxes all year, then had to pay even more.

But then, that's me.

In the meantime, here's a link to the Talkmaster who can more articulately discuss taxes than I could ever hope to. Believe me, I wish I had the way with words that he does. I'd not only have you convinced that the FairTax is the only way to go, I'd also convince you to stop smoking, lose 50 pounds, and go back to school.

That line is sort of a paraphrase of one I heard on an old TV show. Does anyone know what show it was? Here's a hint: the show and the Talkmaster have something in common.

No comments: