Saturday, April 01, 2006

Jill Carroll Released

We now know that Jill Carroll, reporter for the Christian Science Monitor was released after 82 days of captivity. Ms. Carroll was kidnapped and her interpreter murdered on January 7th. During her captivity, several videos were released of her making statements against US presence in Iraq.

Those who know Ms. Carroll know what her real sentiments were about the war. Please don't pass on nasty and mean-spirited comments about her statements while in captivity. In fact, don't pass those on at all. They were made under duress.

And please, don't tell me you wouldn't have done what she did. Until you are in her position, you have no idea of how you would react. You know what? I believe that I would have made the same statements she did. I believe I would have said and done anything they wanted me to say or do. It's not being cowardly. It's called "doing what you have to do to survive". And yes, you are running the very real possibility of losing your life anyway. If it comes to that, you know what was in your heart. You know what your real sentiments are. And so does God, and your family and friends.

No comments: