Sunday, March 26, 2006

Immigration Protest Rallies

For anyone who has read this blog, you are probably acquainted with my view on illegal immigrants. They are committing an illegal act and should not be in this country. At the very least, they should be deported.

Now before you get your knickers in a wad, I fully understand the reasons people come to America illegally. For the most part, they simply want to make a better life for themselves and their families. I understand and applaud that. That is the very reason my own ancestors came to America circa 1720.

And don't give me that static about my ancestors coming here illegally. They paid their way and came through legal ports of entry in Philadelphia and Virginia. It's true they didn't come through Customs; Customs didn't exist as such at that time.

The protestors are demanding that they receive dignity and respect. I'm sorry, I can't respect someone who is deliberately breaking the law of the land. When illegal immigrants (I will not call them "undocumented workers". It simply implies that they have mislaid their Green card) are demanding the same rights that are accorded to documented workers, naturalized citizens, or native born citizens, we have to part company. And when someone is demanding that I give them respect, I'm sorry, I dig my heels in and say, "When Hell freezes over." Respect is given when it's earned. Someone who deliberatly breaks the laws of this country doesn't deserve my respect. Return to your country of origin, come here legally and I will welcome you with open arms.

I am not concerned that illegal immigrants are "taking jobs away from Americans". Although I am not convinced that they will do jobs that Americans refuse to do. I am of the opinion that if the employer pays an appropriate wage, someone will take the job. I think that these jobs that Americans supposedly refuse are refused because they are so low paying (less than minimum wage?). Illegal immigrants will take the jobs because the employers are willing to overlook their lack of "documentation." I have no proof, but I would be willing to bet that most of these employers (not all by any means) know that they can get illegal aliens to work for next to nothing so they refuse to pay what a documented worker will work for. And these employers need to be prosecuted for hiring illegal aliens, maybe even taking advantage of them in some way. I'd be willing to bet that they don't take out Income Tax, Social Security, health and life insurance and all the rest that honest, legal, documented workers have taken (at force of law) from our paychecks. Their acts are as illegal as the illegal aliens acts.

I am not talking about those who are here because of a political reason - they will be executed or subject to lengthy prison terms if they return to their home country. That's another issue.

I am also not concerned, in the context of this issue, that terrorists can come across the border without documenting their entry. That's an entirely different issue.

No, my issue is with those who cross the border, use our resources, and still get government subsidies that Americans can't get. Many pregnant women cross into America to have their babies so that their baby will be an American citizen. I have questions about the automatic citizenship that goes with simply being born in America, but that's yet another issue. The children of illegal aliens are getting passes to attend college that American kids can't get. American servicemen serving in Iraq have been refused in-state tuition because they have been out of the country, while illegal aliens or their kids not only get in-state tuition, but are getting their college education free of charge or at lowered cost. I have issue with giving Social Security and Disability to illegal immigrants. Unless they have paid into SS, they shouldn't get it. I'm all for helping people, but we have to take a step back and think about what we're doing.

I'm getting away from my original premise: protestors demanding rights. My position stays the same: if you are in this country illegally, you are breaking the law and should have only the rights accorded to the criminal that you are.

As I said before: go home, enter legally and I'll be happy to say "Welcome to America, Land of Opportunity."

No comments: