Thursday, October 20, 2005

Some Random Thursday Thoughts

Shepard Smith: I turned on Fox News for the latest on Willllllllllmaaaaaa! Sorry, I had a Flintstone's moment there. Anyway, I had Fox on when Studio B came on. Now, I'm happily married, but that Shepard Smith! Does he have the greatest eyes or what?

Mom's still taking care of her kids: Speaking of Wilma. One of our guys at work commented that he heard that Manatee County hasn't had a direct hurricane hit in many years because a Seminole Indian chief sacrificed his daughter in order to remain hurricane free. This sacrifice supposedly happened in the 1850's. I know there hasn't been a direct hit in the 23 years I've lived here. Before that, I don't know.

Since 1994, I've been giving credit to my Mom for deflecting the hurricanes. My Dad began helping her when he passed away in 2001. Knowing my parents, they will do everything they can to keep hurricanes from coming where my brother and I live. In 1998, Hurricane Georges was aiming for Manatee County. Well, that was the week that I was getting married, so I wouldn't have put it past my Mom to have gotten all the angels together and had them flap their wings to turn the hurricane away at the last minute. Nothing was going to interfer with her daughter's wedding! Last year, Charlie was supposed to be headed toward the Manatee/Sarasota area and made a sudden turn in to Punta Gorda. This isn't to say Manatee County isn't effected by the storms, but we've only had minimal wind and rain from hurricanes since Mom passed away.

I know that my folks would never deliberately steer a hurricane to another city knowing that other people would be harmed in any way whatsoever. But if it cames to choosing between strangers and their own kids, there was no choice to be made. Mom and Dad always took care of their kids (and still do). Thanks Mom and Dad!

More thoughts on Wilma: Noaa has 3- and 5-day cones that show the possibilities of where Wilma will make landfall. Most of this is conjecture based on history, current weather conditions, and knowledge of what happens when fronts and troughs move in that might change the steering currents. What it all amounts to is an educated guess. Last year, nobody saw the move Charlie was going to make into Punta Gorda until the very last moment. Most of the time, the forecasters are good, and get it, if not right on the mark, pretty darn close. it's an inexact science at best, relying on conditions that can change at the drop of a hat. So, while it looks right now as if Wilma will be visiting Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte, I would advise everyone on the Gulf Coast to keep an eye out and prepare to take appropriate action.

And after my post about my parents, what am I doing? Watching and preparing to hunker down. The car is gassed up. My Other Half got provisions at Walmart today that will take us through the weekend. If Wilma heads north, I'll be clearing the patio off and bringing what I can indoors We've done everything we need to do to prepare to this point.

Michael Jackson back in court? Apparently Santa Barbara County has summonsed MJ for jury duty. His lawyers have filled out deferment paperwork because MJ now lives in Bahrain. Our loss is Bahrain's....loss.

Dogs will do what dogs will do: I took Wyatt to PetSmart this afternoon. I usually put him in a cart so that I can get what I ned without bothering with him on a leash. Today, he was on the leash, but walking. I was looking at dog treats when I turned around and he had pooped right there in the center aisle, where everyone coming in or going out would see him. An associate went and got some paper towels and picked up for me. I sort of laughed and said, "I guess it's not the first time this has happened." Another associate passed by right then and they both agreed that it's happened more than once..today. Made me feel a little better, but I was still embarrassed.

No comments: