Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Buses That Did Not Flood

If this is true, then someone has some 'splaining to do. I shouldn't be so flippant, but if I don't laugh, I'll only get mad, and I can't do anything about it except rant and rave here.

Remember the photo of the buses that were under water? The ones that could have been used to bus people out of the path of Hurricane Katrina? If I remember correctly, Mayor Nagin said he couldn't find anyone to drive them. Then the hurricane blew in and almost everything, including the buses, were flooded. I said before that I thought he probably could have found someone to drive those buses, loaded with passengers, out of town had he looked hard enough.

It seems that there were some buses in New Orleans that weren't flooded. I know I had no idea that there was more than one bus barn. There just happens to be another Orleans Parish bus barn, (the Algiers Bus Barn at 801 Patterson Ave. This is the one that wasn't flooded. Here's a link to Wizbang (this is a must read) where photos of the non-flooded buses can be seen. And not only that, but the route between the Superdome and the Algiers Bus Barn was not flooded. These buses could have been used at any time, before or after the hurricane, to bus people out of New Orleans.

All the time Mayor Nagin spent waiting for the Feds to come to the rescue, could have been used busing people out of the Superdome. He didn't have to wait. By using resources available to him, he could have been the hero of the day. Instead it looks as if he was looking to Big Brother Uncle Sam to save the day. I plan to one day write a post on the Welfare Mindset and it's reliance on other people and the utter inability of those who have the Welfare Mindset to rely on themselves. But that's for another post.

I hope there's more to it than mayoral incompetence going on here.

Thanks to The Anchoress for the link.

1 comment:

Polimom said...

Deborah,

You said,
"I hope there's more to it than mayoral incompetence going on here."

Whether the mayor ever remembered those buses were there is a separate question, but they were used, I think - in a very good cause.

Although I expect I'll have a bit more to say about Nagin, Algiers, and those buses, this morning I simply tried to pull together what I knew at the time those satellite images were taken (morning and afternoon of Wed. August 31).

Read here.