Saturday, March 19, 2005

A Sad Ending

We were all hoping that a different ending could have been written, but our hopes crashed when the news came out this morning that the body of 9-year old Jessica Lunsford was found. John Couey, a 46-year old sex offender has admitted to the crime.

I wondered why an Amber Alert wasn't issued when Jessica disappeared. Apparently, there have to be some known facts: the child has been abducted, some idea of who abducted the child, and a description of the vehicle. I disagree with this procedure. I think that when a child has gone missing, an Amber Alert should be issued so that there are that many more eyes out there. It wouldn't have made a difference for Jessica. I think the police either knew that, or had a feeling that an Amber Alert would not help. It was the right decision. Of course, agreeing with it now is using 20-20 hindsight.

Couey came to light when the cops were following standard police procedure. They were interviewing all know sex offenders in the area. He came up missing after telling relatives that the cops would be looking for him. When I heard that, bells went off, but I also knew that the cops looking for him was obvious. He was a known sex offender and they would be looking to talk to him and he wanted to avoid the cops, not necessarily because he was involved, When you are a sex offender, and a child is missing, you become one of the people the cops talk to. Sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Of course, now we know the real reason he didn't want to talk to the cops. He knew he was guilty.

I go back and forth on the death penalty. I don't believe that it's a deterent to crime but I also believe that when you've taken a life, you must pay for it. It does keep the executed criminal from committing more crimes, but I don't believe that most criminals think about the possibility of being executed until they've been arrested and hear that the prosecutor is going to ask for it. Then there are cases like this. He executed her, perhaps without meaning to, but he took her life nonetheless. My idea of an appropriate penalty would be to execute him in the same manner that he executed Jessica. One night, on a date and time unknown to him, wake him from his sleep, remove him from his cell, and do to him what he did to her. With one exception. Don't kill him. Let him live so that he will remember the terror and horror she went through. And maybe repeat it now and again. I know, it's cruel and unusual punishment. It was cruel what he did to her.

As Sheriff Dawsy said, he's a piece of trash. I hope no one interfers with due process or screws up his civil rights. I want to be sure that there is no possibility of appeal because someone didn't collect evidence correctly, or prosecute or defend him properly, or that the judge made an error in the trial or whatever. I want him to have a fair trail (it would be even better if he pleaded guilty at arraignment), so that he will have nothing of merit to appeal. I want him to serve the maximum sentence he is given. And if that is death, I won't cry over him.

God forgive him. It's going to be a long time before I can.

3 comments:

doyle said...

Deborah: I go back and forth on the death penalty.

It's like being pregnant: Either you are are you aren't.

For those who are against it, it's a universal answer. There is no crime bad enough or circumstance that ever warrants it. None.

I get a kick out of those who say, "I'm normally against the DP, but in this case ...

They don't realize that they're saying they are pro-DP, and stating their belief it should be imposed BUT only in certain cases.

To me there has to be an ultimate penalty if for no other reason than this: What's punishment is there for someone with a LWOP sentence, who kills a CO or a fellow inmate? Another LWOP?

Instead of global think of it on a case by case basis, which is the way it's done.

Does that help any?

Anonymous said...

Dear Jessica's Family
I was so sad to see on television that someone abducted her, a child so precious deserves to be treated better than what happened to her. My heart goes out to her family.. I feel so bad for her father, it is hard not to cry, seeing what he is going through, may God Bless You! For the person who did this, His crime will not be forgotten and he will be punished. I hope he is tortured to death in his prison cell, but the most part of it, The Justice Of God The Father, GOD does know of his sin and whoever did this will burn in hell when he meets the savior at Judgment. This is the time to be sad, but remember that.. You and your loved ones will be together forever. This life is just a part of God's Eternal plan for us. She will be with you forever. She is home!!! She is your guardian angel. My prayers are with you always..

Robert Larson
Richfield, Utah, U.S.A.

Tammi said...

I'm with you in hoping nobody, nothing messes this trial/process up. I do NOT want him to have any chance for anything other than the stictist punishment.

For years I grappled with the death penalty. You're right, I don't think it is really deters the crimes. But punishment is the end result of action. And honestly, I'm sick and tired of working to support those that have no respect for human life.

Maybe it's just getting old - but I find I have little tolerance for people like that. Escpecially when it's innocent children that are the victims.