Saturday, January 22, 2005

Saturday Ramblings

Here is a quiz to find out just how much you know about Presidential History.

Florida abduction - Here's a little background on the creep who kidnapped Adam Kirkirt last week. The boy has been found safe in Georgia, but authorities are still looking for Frederick Fretz. A photo can be seen here, but beware, he's not a pretty sight. Looks like he hit every limb falling from the ugly tree. Apparently, he cut his hair. I doubt it made him any prettier.

This wasn't a stranger abduction. Fretz was a roommate of Adam's father. They met in jail. Adam's father was in jail on a VOP for aggravated battery. Fretz was jailed for domestic battery and possession of marijuana. You meet the nicest people in jail, don't you? Fretz had taken Adam to and from school a number of times. Fretz was registered in both Pennsylvania and Arizona as a sex offender, but, gosh! I guess he just forgot to register in Florida when he moved from Arizona. Maybe he had rehabilitated and wanted a fresh start. (Uh-huh. I've got ocean front property in Kansas I can sell you if you believe that can happen.)

Fair Tax - I'm planning another post on the Fair Tax shortly. I've asked permission to post what looks to be a comprehensive 50 point plan of just what can be expected from the Fair Tax. I'd love to claim it as my own, but, I'm not that smart. So, I've asked permission. I think it will turn a few hearts and minds in our direction.

Weaponry - In the past, I have been very vocal about not wanting to have guns in the house. I felt that if someone broke into my house, the gun I had for my safety could be used against me. That's still true. While I was growing up, my parents didn't feel the need for guns in the house. At one time, my Dad worked night shift and Mom slept with a knife under her pillow. That was until she dreamed about knifing my Dad when he came home. The knife went back into the kitchen. Turned out, she really didn't need the knife. One night he came home, and kissed her while she was sleeping. She answered with a sock to the jaw that sent him across the room. Mom always could take care of herself. There's another story about Mom, but that's for another post.

Anyway, Dale is in Melbourne getting the weapons his dad gave him at Christmas. One rifle and handgun belonged to one grandfather, and the other rifle and shotgun belonged to the other grandfather, I believe. I think the other handgun was his dad's. I don't know about calibers, make and model and so one, but basically we'll have two rifles, two handguns, and a shotgun. I hear the best burglar deterent next to a barking dog is the burglar hearing the chambering of a shotgun.

His dad is getting married in July and Geri won't have weapons in the house. I'm still not thrilled about having weapons in the house, but on the other hand, I don't want anyone to tell me I can't. It's that pesky Constitutional thing, you know?

Entreprenuer - That's me. Or maybe I'm just getting rid of stuff. Anyway, I've put a couple of books up for auction on eBay. I sold one, but relisted three that didn't sell. I would like to make some money at this, but the goal is just to get stuff out of the house. If I can just cover the expense of the listing fees and shipping, I'll be happy. I didn't make any money on the first sale. The listing fee and shipping were a bit more than the sale. But, it's all good. I learned a lesson. Don't suggest having a yard sale to get rid of stuff. Dale and I did an outdoor flea market type place a couple of years ago and made a bit over $200. That was nice. But, with his medical problems, it's difficult and I just can't do it myself.

Don't suggest a yard sale, I did that once and I doubt if I'd do it again. I had one guy say, "Well, I sell at the flea market. How do you expect me to make money there if you won't sell this to me at my price?" My answer? "I really don't care if you make money or not. It's worth this much to me and if you don't want to pay it, someone else will. You want me to just give it to you and, like you, I want to make some money today." The very next person did. He also complained that I gave someone a deal. I told him that he was correct, I did give her a deal, but she had also just bought $50 worth of other stuff and I wanted to thank her. I also told him that if he bought anything, I might give him a deal on something too. And also that it wasn't going to break me if he didn't buy. Shortly after, he left without buying anything. He thought I would just give it to him to get rid of clutter and stuff. Nope. Not him. He wasn't looking to buy. He was looking for something for nothing. I made deals with lots of people that day, but I refused to deal with him. I'm not a capitalist for nothing, you know.

1 comment:

Omar Cruz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.