Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Inauguration Day

Am I the only person who would like to see both Inauguration Day and Election Day made into national holidays? I would like to have tomorrow off to watch the inauguration, but I have to work. Because of all that's going on, it's almost mandatory this year. I'll plan better in four years and put in for the day months in advance.

I'm not advocating for Inauguration Day to be a national holiday just because I want to see Bush sworn in for a second term, although, as a certain Domestic Diva would say, it's a good thing. I've felt this way about Inauguration Day for many years. I love the pomp and ceremony and would like to be able to see it from start to finish. I don't really care who's being sworn in, Democrat or Republican, I love it because it's the culmination of the whole democratic process. The inauguration is once every four years. I don't think it would hurt to make it a National Holiday.

The entire world will be watching. I admit, some will be watching to see if there will be any terrorist attacks, either home-grown or from another part of the world. Others will be watching to see if anyone does turn their backs as the Presidential motorcade passes. I think it's silly, but it's their right to express their opinion. Part of that pesky First Amendment thing. It's also their right to do silly things that won't make a bit of difference, such as the Not One Damn Dime Day thing.

If I had the day off, I'd make it an open-house party for any of my friends who wished to visit, whether they agree with the election results or not. Sort of a 4th of July type thing, except we may have to do it inside because it's a bit chilly here. Not like most of the rest of the country, but still cold for Florida. The RNC was trying to get people to have inaugural parties. I think it would be fun.

As for Election Day, I would think more people would vote, but maybe not. I'd still like to have the day off. It might be harder to make a case for Election Day because it's every year, and with primaries, several times a year. After I retire in a few years, I plan to become a poll worker. I could now, but because I work for an elected official, I'd have to clear it though my Professional Standards office. I don't think it would be a problem, but, I think I'll just wait until retirement and then there won't be any question.

Actually, I think I'll take the day after Election Day off next time around. That way I can stay up as late as I need to watch the counts come in and not have to worry about my performance, or lack thereof, at work the next day.

No comments: