Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Cruising - The Emergency Drill

When we entered our stateroom the first thing that I saw were two orange life vests lying on the bed. Shortly thereafter the captain (Captain Johnny as he would come to be known), came over the loud speakers to announce that there would be a drill. All passengers were required to put on their vests and proceed to their assigned assembly area when we heard the siren. Didn't matter whether it was your first cruise or your tenth, all passengers would participate.

So Dale and I put on our vests and waited. Very shortly, came the siren: seven short blasts followed by one long blast. While we waited, I read the instructions. We were to proceed to the Lotus Lounge on Deck 5 (one up from where we were). Finally, the siren sounded and we left the room. As did everyone else on our deck. Not really chaos, and not a Chinese fire drill either. Everyone proceeded in an orderly fashion. Some went up the steps, which is what you are supposed to do during an emergency (the elevators might not be working). A crew member saw Dale walking with his cane and suggested using the elevator. He then told us to go to Deck 4. Hmm...I thought the instructions said Deck 5. We went where he told us to go. We got to Deck 4 and another crew member proceeded to tell us we should be on Deck 5. When I attempted to tell him we were told to go to Deck 4, he insisted I was wrong, that wouldn't have happened. I stopped him and told him "A crew member on Deck 6 told us to go to Deck 4. Don't tell me we were wrong. I know what I was told." I could feel my hackles rising. He still tried to tell me we were wrong, and I again said, "No. We did as were were told. Don't tell me it didn't happen that way." He apologized, sort of, but I think he still thought we didn't understand what we were told. In any case, we finally got to the Lotus Lounge on Deck 5.

The Lotus Lounge was packed by this time. As you entered, a crew member noted the number that was on your life jacket. They needed to know that everyone arrived where they should be. Cabin attendants also checked the cabins to be sure that no one stayed behind. The drill was considered that important.

Several hundred people were assembled waiting for the captain to release us to go back to our cabins. Now picture this, a large room, well able to accommodate this group, filled with a sea of orange life vests. It was really all that you noticed. A couple saw Dale lumbering along and jumped up, offering their seats. The first of many similar acts. Captain Johnny came on the loud speaker and told us that the Coast Guard was very pleased with our drill and that we had set a record. The Coast Guard was now allowing us to proceed with our cruise.

Hundreds of life vests were removed in relief. They really are very uncomfortable to wear when not faced with a real-life emergency. People moved to several different exits and headed back to their cabins where the life vests were placed in the closets for the remainder of the voyage. At least, we all hoped they would remain there and unnecessary.

No comments: