Monday, September 06, 2004

Frances Update

Well, it looks as though Frances has moved off-coast and into the Gulf. According to the weather service, there is a chance that she will re-organize enough to become a minimal hurricane before making landfall somewhere in the Destin vicinity.

I checked outside several times yesterday, and couldn't see much in the way of damage. No downed tree limbs or power lines. We never lost power here, although several times the power started to shut down, but didn't; not even enough to re-set the clocks or interrupt the cable. I was very impressed. We usually lose electric when a cat pees down the street. The cable has been very slow. Seems to take forever to sign into certain sites, although I guess that could actually be a site problem rather than ISP. It takes long enough that it takes me back to dial-up days. I'm not exaggerating. It's that slow. And I'd rather blame the cable company than the site.

I took some pictures out the front door and might post them if I figure out how to do it. I doubt you can see much except for the pond that accumulates whenever we have a heavy rain. All I saw this morning was leaves scattered around. I don't think the wind got to the 40 mph we were expecting. I haven't heard how much rainfall we actually got, several inches I'm sure. Not nearly as much as the east coast and inland counties got. We were lucky once again being on the west/south side of the storm - not as much wind or rain as on the east/north side.

I haven't seen any news today on what damages were sustained on the east coast. My father-in-law should be arriving in Melbourne sometime today. His vacation in Massachusetts was lengthened by three days because of Frances. He'll let us know when he gets home and what damage, if any, his house sustained.

And now we have Ivan to look forward to. Hopefully, he'll take the southern route south of Cuba and head into either Mexico or Texas. Not that I wish a hurricane on either, but Florida doesn't need another storm of any magnitude. We've had more than enough for one season.

I have a list on my sidebar of Florida bloggers. Check in on them and see what they had to say about their experiences with Frances.

No comments: