Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Illegal Aliens - Revisited

I am posting an email that I sent to Governor Jeb Bush this evening. It was a response to the article linked below:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/8364000.htm

In it, Florida State Senator Rudy Garcia of Hialeah says that the streets will be safer when driver's licenses are issued to illegal aliens. My question is, what makes the streets safer than they were the day before the license was issued? My problem is not with the issuance of the license per se, it's the endorsement of, and rewarding of the breaking a law. I've written about this before, so I won't do so again. Especially since it's the core of my email to the governor.

Here's the text of the email:

Dear Governor Bush:

I read an article today that said you are in favor of issuing driver's licenses to illegal aliens. I cannot believe that you are willing to encourage anyone to break the law. Not only break the law, but reward them for doing so.

The word "illegal" indicates that someone has broken the law; they've committed an act that is not legal by definition of law. I applaud anyone coming to this country to better their lives or the lives of their children. I myself am a tenth generation American. If it had not been for immigration, I would not be here today. The difference is that my ancestors came here legally. They did not sneak across borders watching over their shoulders. They were able to work openly and not be afraid that they would be sent back to their country of origin because they were not here legally.

If the law were changed to allow those who have broken the law coming into America to be here legally, I would whole heartedly support giving them licenses and all they are entitled to as legal alien residents. But, if just anyone can get a license, where is the incentive for doing it legally? We don't allow students who have dropped out of school to have a license without jumping through hoops to obtain it, so why should someone who has broken the law be able to get one just by applying?

I am deeply concerned about what laws will be circumvented next. My faith in your leadership has been shaken - so much so that I don't believe I can trust you or your administration again. Why bother having laws at all? why not allow everyone to do as they please?

How can I trust you, as governor, to safeguard the Constitution and the laws of the state of Florida? If we bend the small ones, why bother with any laws at all? And in reality, is this a small law? It might not be the equivalent of some other laws, but is any law less important than another?

Governor Bush, please reconsider your endorsement of this law. I can see no good reason for ignoring this law or any other. Change it if it must be changed, but don't ignore it. Our laws are the cornerstone of our society.

I voted for you twice, but right now, I could not and would not do so again.

Now that I've re-read this, I will be sending it to President Bush as well and my congressmen. Until the law is changed, it's an illegal act to enter this country without proper documentation.

What laws will be ignored next?

No comments: