Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hollywood Tough Guy Robert Davi Teams With Animal Rights Groups to Push for Tax Change

Will Max be a tax break? Can Fido help with FICA?

A bill making the rounds on Capitol Hill marries two feel-good propositions -- tax cuts and pet ownership -- to generate a novel idea: A tax break of up to $3,500 per person for pet care expenses.

The measure is a legislative long shot. But it's been championed by a veteran Hollywood tough guy and by a conservative Michigan congressman, and has drawn the enthusiastic support of animal rights groups eager to promote pet ownership during economic down times.

"We think this is as much a health care bill as any," said Nancy Perry, vice president of government affairs at the Humane Society. "It's a human health issue to ensure that pets are provided with better care because of the role they play in our families."

The measure even has a snappy acronym: the HAPPY Act, as in Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

An excellent idea. I know of many people who would take better care of their pets if it weren't for the expense. Yes, I know, if you take on the responsibility of ownership, it means taking care of the animal, vet expenses and all.

But when it costs as much to take your furry little friend for his yearly checkup and it's as expensive as taking yourself or your kid, a lot of people are going to think twice about it. "It's only an animal, after all."

Especially in this economy, people are cutting back. If it means the kid goes to the doctor or the dog goes, most people will opt for the kid. Everyone is cutting back on this or that and sometimes the pets have to be the last in line for necessities such as shots. I don't like the idea, but it's right out there.

I have serious doubts this bill will make it through Congress, much less be actually signed into law, but I do believe it would make a difference. I know I would be better about making sure my own dogs got their vet visits as needed if I knew I could claim them on my taxes.

Now, how about just getting rid of income taxes altogether and going to a national sales tax instead. I'd have more money in my wallet and could be sure that my boys got the care they need when they need it. I don't have to explain my embrace of the FairTax. If you've seen this blog, you know why I want it. If this is your first time, stick around, read past posts or ask questions.

You wouldn't believe the difference it could make in your life. And in your pets lives.


No comments: