Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Lesson to Us All: Don't Judge a Book 
By It's Cover

Britain's newest talent is Susan Boyle who made her television debut on the British program Britian's Got Talent. And indeed she does. 

Ms. Boyle completely turned the place upside down. If you watch the video, which I can't supply because the embed was disabled by request (see the URL for the video at the end of this post), you might note that at the beginning, Simon didn't have much hope for the talent of Ms. Boyle. But, at four minutes into the video, I think Simon, not to mention the rest of Britian and, yes, let's say it, the world, has fallen in love with this lady. At least with the talent she displayed.

I believe it was because she is not what would be described as a beauty that most people immediately downplayed the possibility of Ms. Boyle actually having talent. Shame on everyone of us. Yes, even me, although I already had an idea of what was going to happen. If you took her on appearance alone, you might think she be more suitable for comedy. In appearance she reminds me of Kathy Kinney (Mimi from The Drew Carey Show).  By the way, comedy worked very well for Fanny Brice, who as I understand wasn't much of a looker either, but managed to become a Zigfield star in spite of her lack of beauty. 

In today's society we put so much emphasis on what the outside looks like that we forget to look for other beauty. And that's to our detriment. By looking for outside beauty, we overlook inner beauty, grace, and talent. This lady, Susan Boyle, has the voice of an angel. I don't know what her future on Britian's Got Talent might be, but I think her future will be brilliant, as the Brits say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

No comments: