Monday, June 09, 2008

MCCAIN STILL HASN'T SEALED THE DEAL ON RIGHT

"There is probably less enthusiasm for McCain at the grass roots of the Republican Party than we have seen for a Republican nominee - and that includes Bob Dole in 1996. McCain definitely has not made his peace with all the conservative elements of the Republican coalition."

- Columnist Bob Novak

~~~~~~~

I wasn't impressed by Senator Dole in 1996 and am not particularly impressed by Senator McCain. I said in a previous post that my main complaint against Senator Obama was his lack of experience in the Senate. That's obviously not an issue with Senator McCain, but experience isn't enough. His war hero status also isn't enough to impress me in a presidential candidate. I am grateful for his service, but it's only one check mark on his side of the ballot.

Neither of the presumptive candidates have impressed me. I may have to hold my nose and vote this fall. I don't like that. I want to be enthusiastic about the candidate I vote for. And if not enthusiastic, I want to at least like the candidate.

No comments: