Monday, August 20, 2007

Be Careful of What's on the Other Side of the Door

I went into the laundry room of my condo early this afternoon to clean up in and around the litter box (the dogs use it too. And, as most males of my knowledge, they usually miss and hit the outside of the box but that's another story). I decided to put my stepladder outside and opened the slider to the patio.

Suddenly, I was under attack! I didn't know what was happening other than it hurt! I finally realized that it was wasps that were stinging me. I counted four stings before I managed to get the door closed and get away from it. After I ministered to my owies and said a few cuss words in relation to the lineage of the wasps, I went to the slider and found that two or three were still in the house, caught between the slider and the curtain. A rolled up newspaper took care of that problem and I was able to look outside and saw the problem.

The wasps had decided that the corners of my slider, between the slider and the screen door, would be a good place to build not one but two nests. When I opened the slider, it really made them mad. They swarmed at me, stingers first. I didn't see the second one until I went outside later on to complete my assassination assignment. This afternoon I completed the recon work - from indoors. My mama didn't raise no fools. Then, after dark, armed with my handy can of wasp killer, I emptied the can on the nests. Tomorrow, I'll remove the nests, sweep up the bodies, and reclaim my patio.

This is the patio that is too hot to use this time of year. But darn it! This is my patio. Those wasps were uninvited and not paying rent or doing anything to contribute to my comfort, and on top of it all, they attacked me! And, let us not forget, my a/c is out of commission and I can't open the frickin' slider to let in some cooler outside air. Remember, their nests are between the slider and the outside screen. Closing the screen and opening the slider would let them in the house without an exit to the outside.

So, I made my decision, made my plans and set the plan in motion. I confess: I committed pre-meditated waspicide. In the first degree.

And, I'd do it again!!! bwahhhhhaaaaaaahhhhaaaa!

No comments: