Monday, April 16, 2007

Purple Heart Vets

After my husband died, I was considering what to do with his '88 Caravan. It needs a lot of work before it's even driveable, and it's pretty rusty. I thought I would have to have it towed away for junk - and pay for the tow.

My friend Tina thought her brother might be able to fix it up. As good a friend as Tina has been to me over the years, I was going to give it to her. Well, turned out her brother didn't want it after all. Can't really blame him; he needed something that was driveable now, not a couple of weeks or months down the road.

Anyway, one day I was out in my van and heard an ad for Purple Heart Vets. They'll take any vehicle - driveable or not. Then, a few days later, there was a message on my voice mail from....guess who? You got it. Purple Heart Vets. It was a recorded sales pitch, but it said the same thing I remembered from the radio ad.

So once I got the van titled over to me, I found PHV on the internet and submitted a form to donate the van. Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks, so I sent an email saying that I would like to donate this van, yada, yada, yada, but hadn't heard anything. Still hadn't heard anything today, so had decided to call them tomorrow.

A few minutes ago I got a call from a guy saying he was from PHV and could he get to my place from ---- Street. I said yes, but I hoped he wasn't planning on picking up the van today. He said, well, that was the idea - or words to that effect. I told him I want to donate the van, but wasn't ready to have it picked up yet, that I was expecting a phone call letting me know when they would have it picked up. His suggestion was to call them and let them know when I was ready.

While I still want to donate the van to PHV, I admit I was a bit annoyed to get a pick up call with no warning whatsoever. So, since it's after hours, I sent an email to PHV asking pretty much, what the????

I'll clean out the van tomorrow and find the keys...I hope. I have a fistful of keys and think I saw the Caravan keys among them, but considering there were keys for a Ford that I know belonged to no car my husband had for at least 10 years, I'm not sure what I'll find....or not find.

No comments: