Saturday, August 27, 2005

Laptops for Injured Soldiers - Part II

I posted previously about Project Valour-IT, the project to get laptop computers to our wounded veterans at military hospitals. The project is ongoing, but I thought you might like to know how it's going. Over $7500 has been raised. There are 10 laptops, software, and bags going to Bethesda; four will be passed on to Walter Reed.

Soldiers Angel's goal is to raise $600,000 for 150 laptops in every military medical center. Donations can be made here. there are corporate sponsors, but your donations are needed too.

I swiped this comment from Fuzzilicious Thinking. I think it accurately describes just how much a laptop will mean to a wounded soldier:

Seawitch, that is an absolutely amazing and bloody important cause that you are supporting. As I have a high-level spinal cord injury I also use a voice-activated computer. I have my little microphone that I speak into, and because I can move my arms I have a trackball mouse[...]I know what it is like to be stuck in hospital for a long time with nothing to do and no access to the outside world[...]

This project will make a massive difference to the lives of wounded soldiers. Giving them access to the outside world, as well as the independence that voice-activated computers will bring, is such an honourable way to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our well-being.

Seawitch can be found here. Look, no matter what you think of the war, or it's reasons, or who you blame for what, we cannot forget the ones who have been wounded in it's cause. No matter what you choose to believe about why they were there, we must take care of them. This is one way to do that.

No comments: