Tuesday, August 30, 2005

American Tsunami

I wasn't the first to say it, and probably won't be the last. And it might be a bit of hyperbole, but I don't think so. We may not have lost nearly as many people, hundreds (the numbers are still coming in) instead of a hundred thousand plus, but we still had death and destruction.

I think I can safely say the property damage is equivalent. Homes and businesses destroyed, lives shattered. Lives that will have to be rebuilt. And yes, as long as there is life there is hope. And lives can be rebuilt. I wouldn't say it to anyone who lost their home, their business or any other material possession right now, but it was just "stuff". The important thing was saved - their lives.

Now, that the skies have cleared and we can begin to see just how much damage has occurred, I wonder how the rest of the world will view their role in the relief effort. America was charged with being "stingy" after the Tsunmai relief efforts began; will we see the same type of aid that we gave? Has the UN sent in teams to help rebuild? Not to my knowledge, and in my own opinion, they would be better off staying away. And yes, I realize that most of the areas effected by the Tsunami were poor and in need of help. The Tsunami was just overwhelming. Villages were wiped out and the governments just didn't have the ability to even begin to start relief efforts. So the rest of the world stepped up and pitched in. The UN stood around, when 5-star hotels were available, and were generally pains in the you-know-where.

Since the US "contributes" what? 25% of the UN budget? shouldn't we be entitled to some help from the UN? But on the other hand, do we really want the kind of help the UN will give? I don't think we have to worry about it.

Americans will do what we've always done. Start the assessment, clean up, and then start rebuilding.

With or without the help of the rest of the world.

1 comment:

KTK said...

I agree!!

Keep them UN dicks out of here!!

Great post