1. Do you have any idea of how many barrels of oil we use each and every day?
2. What percentage of our oil is imported from Saudi Arabia?
3. Where does the other 85% of our oil come from?
4. When was the last oil refinery built in the US?
5. Is gasoline the only thing refined from imported oil?
1. 20 million barrels.
3. The US, Canada, and Mexico
4. 20 years ago
5. No - heating oil is also refined from imported oil
We can increase our oil imports to 100 million or 200 million barrels a day, but we don't have enough refineries to refine that oil into gasoline. If we don't have the refineries, it doesn't make any difference how many barrels we send to the refineries, they can't do anything with it.
I just learned these facts myself. Interesting.
I don't know the answer to this, but here's a question: how much of the price of gas per gallon is comprised of taxes? I know there's federal, state, and local taxes involved.
Here's a question I do know the answer to: what US senator voted to increase gasoline taxes by $.50 per gallon? It was defeated, but who voted for it?
Answer: John Kerry - but maybe he voted for it before he voted against it.