Sunday, January 23, 2005

Johnny Carson
1925-2005


FOX News is reporting that late night legend Johnny Carson has passed away in Los Angeles due to complications of emphysema. He was 79. His passing was peaceful and was attended by his family.

He took the reins of The Tonight Show from Jack Paar in 1962 when it was still in black and white. Aside from his vacations he was on air until he stepped down in 1992. Thirty years. Amazing. One of the big jokes of the day was that everyone went to bed with Johnny Carson. It was the truth, so much of America watched at least the monologue before turning out the lights.

I remember as a child, my bedtime was well before Johnny came on, but many nights I snuck out of my room and sat in the hallway and watched. I probably didn't understand a lot of what he said, but I laughed along with everyone else. I might not have entirely understood, but I recognized humor when I heard it. I would suddenly realize that I had to be careful that my parents didn't hear me laughing or I'd be sent off to bed. Johnny talked about events of the day in a way that was humorous and entertaining, but meaningful. There was always the double entendre, and always a voluptuous, scantily clad girl in the skits. Johnny would leer or roll his eyes and everyone knew why. But it was never dirty, either in word or deed. If a joke went sour, Johnny knew it, and knew the audience knew it. Johnny could make fun of himself as well making fun of anyone else.

One of the reasons I loved living in the Central Time zone was that The Tonight Show came on an hour earlier and I could watch the entire show and then go to bed and still get enough sleep to be able to function at work the next day.

He was born in Corning, Iowa and raised in Nebraska. He began his entertainment career as a magician and eventually went on to radio and then to hosting a television game show, Who Do You Trust? and then finished his career on top with The Tonight Show. He reportedly was a very shy man who continually suffered from cotton mouth before appearing on The Tonight Show stage.

Who can hear the theme to The Tonight Show without thinking about Johnny Carson? I remember Johnny Carson and I get a warm feeling of good, clean, fun. Remember the Ed Ames appearance where he threw the Tomahawk? Remember Karnack? How about the animals that appeared on the show?

My deepest condolences to wife Alexis and his children. And to America for losing a national treasure.

No comments: