Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Cold Weather

My sympathies to y'all up north, still digging out from all that white stuff that buried you over the weekend.

I got up Monday morning to drive to work. Now, I live in West Central Florida, just south of Tampa. I live in Florida, for pete's sake, and it was 34 degrees! The citrus growers and strawberry farmers like it. Cold weather make the citrus and strawberries sweeter. You Yankees choose to live in the frozen artic that exists above the Mason-Dixon line. I choose to live in sunny, warm Florida.

I moved to Kansas in December of 1978. That was the beginning of the worst winter since 1940. My Dad swore it was just a coincidence that he left Missouri in 1940 and moved back in 1978; he was NOT responsible for either winter. He often talked about how it snowed the month he was born - May. I have to wonder.

I remember saying, while scraping snow and ice off my windshield after work one day, that I left Florida for this! For all my whining about the cold weather, I don't like Florida summers, although the summer of 2003 was nice and 2004 had it's good moments. If you don't mention the hurricanes.

34 degrees. In Florida. It's just wrong.

No comments: